The Mediterranean is a highly populated highly urbanised society, with extremely rich and diverse forest landscapes. Global change and the need to advance to a circular, low carbon bio-based economy is creating new challenges and new opportunities in relation to the conservation of natural resources and the creation of sustainable value for local and global populations. New transdisciplinary research and innovation activities on PES are needed to support forest governance, innovative institutional arrangements and social innovation in order to align perspectives on forest management and to balance interests on the use of forest resources and its multiple ecosystem services.
The position will have a special focus on the Mediterranean area but will also coordinate EFI research activities on the topic across the institute.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Coordinate the overall EFI research on PES and related issues.
- Initiate, acquire and lead International research projects.
- Proactively engage in Mediterranean and International networking.
- Engage in communication and science-policy, science in society related activities.
- Publish research findings in both academic journals and policy and practice oriented media.
- Contribute to the overall management of EFIMED.
- PhD in natural sciences, economics or social sciences.
- At least 10 years of work experience relevant for the position.
- A strong academic background and impact related to PES.
- Experience of initiating and leading interdisciplinary and International research consortia,
- Knowledge and good connections to the European research community in the field of PES.
- Ability to lead, manage and motivate an international research team.
- Excellent communications and presentation skills.
- Experience of policy support activities and stakeholder engagement.
- Excellent spoken and written skills in English are essential. Knowledge of French, Spanish, Turkish and/or Arabic is an asset.
The employee will be based at EFI’s Barcelona Office, Spain.
The employee will be an EFI staff member. The duration of employment will be five years with an option for an extension of a further five years.
EFI offers a competitive benefits and salary package. This position offers a challenging opportunity to work within a stimulating international environment.
Interested candidates are requested to send in English a CV with a motivation letter by 10th July 2017, using the online application form. If you are not able to apply online, please send your application to efi.hr @ efi.int.
For more information about the post, please contact Inazio Martinez de Arano, Head of EFIMED: inazio.martinez @ efi.int.
EFI is an equal opportunity employer. All applications will be treated confidentially.
Please note that only candidates that have been shortlisted for interview will be contacted.
Read more here:: GFIS