Organization: UN Development Programme
Closing date: 08 Jun 2017
Job Title: M&E Officer Job Category: Consultant
Department/Group: Ministry of Planning, International Cooperation and Diaspora Relations, Hirshabelle State of Somalia
Location Jowhar, Hirshabelle State of Somalia Reporting Line: Reports to Minister
Secondary Reporting Line State Formation/StEFS Project Team, UNDP Somalia
Closing Date: 8th June 2017 Position Type: Capacity Injection
OVERVIEW OF THE POSITION
In 2012, after a long and troubled transition, a new political dispensation was found in Somalia, with the adoption of the Provisional Constitution, the selection of a new parliament, the election of president and formation of a new government. The challenges faced by the Federal and State Governments are enormous. The challenges can be summarized as follows:
- The long civil war and looting have destroyed physical infrastructure, equipment and the institutional memory of most government agencies and ministries.
- There is a lack of clarity on the mandate and functions across Federal and State Government institutions and between the federal and subnational levels of government.
- Core work-processes in government have suffered in quality and consistency, and service delivery is in many areas virtually absent.
- Staff capacity is low across the whole spectrum of government institutions with limited mechanisms to identify and redress these capacity gaps.
The Federal and State Governments face significant capacity challenges – at the individual, organizational and institutional level – in implementing their mandate and require institutional support to roll out the New Deal process and implement the different reforms.
On State Level, the Puntland Government is fairly well established. However, the process to establish new State Level governments in ‘south-central Somalia’ has started during 2014. This highly sensitive process is about merging different regions into a state level government administration. It requires an inclusive (political) debate and technical guidance.
The Support to Emerging Federal States (StEFS) Project is one of the Projects developed in response to the New Deal. Aligned to the priorities and principles spelled out in the Somali Compact, the StEFS Project aims to support the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) and Emerging Federal States in achieving the Peace-building and State-building Goal (PSG) 1, Inclusive Politics Strategic Objective, to “achieve a stable and peaceful federal Somalia through inclusive political processes.”
StEFS builds on the positive gains, experience, expertise and added value of UNSOM and UNDP in advancing these processes while further delivering key capacity support needed for these new governance structures to function effectively within a nascent federal system.
The Project prescribes a coherent approach to address the needs of Emerging Federal States in addition to those federal level institutions that enable and facilitate the formation and development of these new state structures and federalism process.
Hirshabelle State of Somalia was established in October 2016. It comprises of Hiiran and Middle Shabelle regions. The establishment of Hirshabelle paves the way to focus efforts on building a functioning administration that is able to deliver much needed services to local communities. The Support to Emerging Federal States Project is one of the Projects developed in response to the New Deal. Aligned to the priorities and principles spelled out in the Somali Compact, the Project aims to support the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) and Emerging Federal States inclusive of Hirshabelle, in achieving the Peace-building Goal (PSG).
In regard, Hirshabelle based in Jowhar, is looking for a Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Officer to ensure efficient planning, monitoring and evaluation services and supervision of the project management team;
Summary of Key Functions
Assist Ministry of Planning, International Cooperation and Diaspora Relations with the Support to Emerging Federal States (StEFS) Project planning, project implementation and monitoring, and evaluation
· Assist the ministry in the planning and development of the State Formation Project Documents, including the Results Resources Framework;
· Support the development and implementation of the project’s M&E plans, in particular specific state formation – related output activities, indicators, targets, monitoring steps and means of verification, in line with a developed Work Plan
· Assist in the development of the State level StEFS implementation plans, including clear linkages between activities, budget, and monthly milestones;
· Take the lead to monitor and report project progress according to the M&E plan, including the establishment of internal monitoring tools to gather results-based information;
· Assist in updating progress on project outputs and monitoring them
· Participate in planning and implementation meetings with stakeholders and partners as requested by supervisors.
· Take the lead in developing M&E reports in a timely manner for submission to senior management and project donors; such as monthly reports, event/activity reports and presentations
· Assist the Ministry in engaging and liaising with partners to ensure information sharing, coordination of efforts and identification of opportunities for synergies and collaboration as requested by the supervisor
· An overarching framework and strategy for monitoring and evaluation with well-defined desired state formation project output indicators.
· Implementation State Formation M&E work plan supporting the roll out of the Federal strategy
· Detailed one-year M&E plans setting out existing and planned activities, roles and responsibilities of different actors, timelines
· Monthly reports and briefing for the M&E missions carried out and findings from minoring missions, progress made, challenges encountered and corrective action proposed
· Contribute to Emerging States reporting and progress updates, and document Emerging States’ M&E capacity building support.
Required Skills and Experience
· Bachelor Degree in International Affairs, Public Policy, Public or Business Administration, Communication, Political Science, Social Studies, Conflict Resolution or related field.
· Minimum 3 – 5 years of experience in, project planning and management, monitoring and evaluation, and/or other relevant experience;
· Demonstrated experience in developing project documents and work plans;
· Demonstrated ability to produce comprehensive reports and project analysis
· Experience with delivering projects in a post-conflict environment;
· Capacity to dialogue with high level political and administrative officers diplomatically and sensitively
· Political analysis skills and reporting is an asset;
· Advanced skills in the usage of computer software packages and web-based management.
· Demonstrated knowledge in the cross-cutting themes of capacity development and gender;
Language requirements: Fluency in written and spoken Somali and English.
· Excellent analytical skills, ability to synthesize and clearly present complex processes and issues to service the information needs of diverse audiences;
· Ability to translate strategic thinking and innovative ideas into practical operational recommendations;
· Results orientation and commitment to producing high-quality products;
· Ability to work under tight deadlines;
How to apply:
APPLICATION PROCESS: This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional. If you would like to join this dynamic team, please submit your application to email@example.com copying firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com quoting the position in the email subject matter, by 8th June 2017.
Due to high volume of applicants we can only contact to short listed candidates.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT