Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 20 Jul 2017
Position Title : Geographic Information System (GIS) Officer
Duty Station : Sana’a, Yemen
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 20 July 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Congo, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Maldives, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador,
Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
The Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) is a system to track and monitor the displacement and population mobility. It is designed to regularly and systematically capture, process and disseminate information to provide a better understanding of the movements and evolving needs of displaced populations, whether on site or en route. Conceptualized by IOM, for the IDP assessments and monitoring exercises, the DTM has been continuously refined and enhanced through years of operational experience in countries in both conflict and natural disaster settings. DTM plays an essential role in providing primary data and information on displacement both in country and at the global level.
Under the overall supervision of the Project Manager (Emergency, Transition and Recovery), the direct supervision of the Project Officer (DTM), and in coordination with relevant units in IOM Yemen, the successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of the development and coordination of DTM data collection tools and the implementation of GIS support requirements related to the implementation of the DTM.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Plan, design, and implement integrated mechanisms for data gathering and information
management across DTM activities to meet information needs and to ensure accurate and reliable data is collected, stored, and submitted in a timely manner to be further processed.
Conduct research to support methodology design, development of data collection tools, project preparation, and report development.
Train and support staff in tasks related to DTM data collection, GIS-related requirements for data collection and management, surveys, and assessments.
Identify and analyze existing GIS systems and structure capacities, availability of relevant datasets, and data and information gaps. Design effective solutions to meet GIS-related needs in an accurate and timely manner.
Oversee, coordinate, and manage effective Geographic Information Systems (GIS) in the context of DTM implementation, including the production of GIS-related products both for operational purposes and information sharing and dissemination.
In coordination with the database officer, design, develop, and maintain systems required for geodatabases and other spatial data infrastructures for better information management, including data collection activities, data analysis and processing, and production of various types of information products.
In coordination with the DTM Project Officer, support effective DTM implementation; ensure regular monitoring as per agreed timelines; prepare project status and progress reports.
Establish and maintain strong partnerships and regular liaison with key stakeholders in relation to GIS such as the Information Management Working Group, GIS unit from other clusters and the information management structure of implementing partners.
Perform such other related duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Information Management, Geographic Information Systems, Computer Science or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in the use of GIS in emergency operation context;
• Expertise of ESRI ArcGIS nd other GIS-related software;
• Knowledge of Relational Database Management System (RDBMS);
• Knowledge of Microsoft applications, spreadsheets, and word processing;
• Knowledge of data protection guidelines and principles;
• Experience in relevant issues such as migration, displacement, and humanitarian assistance would be an asset.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 20 July 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 07.07.2017 to 20.07.2017
Requisition: SVN 2017/130 (P) – Geographic Information System (GIS) Officer (P2)-Sana’a,Yemen
Posting: Posting NC55112030 (55112030) Released
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT