Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 18 Aug 2017
Position Title : International Consultant – Identity Management System
Duty Station : Yerevan, Armenia
Classification : Consultant, Grade OTHE
Type of Appointment : Consultant, Seven months
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 18 August 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM Mission in Armenia is looking for an international consultant for a short-term consultancy under the “Strengthening Armenia’s Identity Management System” Project aiming to consolidate Armenia’s national traveller identification management capacity through the implementation of a new biometric passport (ePassport) system.
About the Project
The IOM project “Strengthening Armenia’s Identity Management System” aims to consolidate Armenia’s national traveller identification management capacity through the implementation of a new biometric passport (ePassport) and eID system. Project purposes include performing a gap analysis and articulating a vision and main directions for Armenia’s identity management capacity; developing tender dossier including technical specifications; producing bid analysis and tender selection recommendations, while ensuring compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) specifications and International Organization for Standardization (ISO) standards and taking into consideration the best international practices.
Objective of the consultancy
Under direction of the IOM Mission in Armenia, the IOM Regional Office in Vienna and Immigration and Border Management (IBM) Division at IOM Headquarters, the Consultant is to provide technical assistance to the Government of Armenia on a broad range of matters related to identification management, travel document integrity and border controls.
The consultancy includes performing a gap analysis and articulating a vision and main directions for Armenia’s identity management capacity; developing tender dossier including technical specifications; and producing bid analysis and tender selection recommendations, while ensuring compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Standards and specifications, International Organization for Standardization (ISO) standards and taking into consideration the best international practices.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Under the direction of the Head of IOM Mission in Yerevan and Immigration and Border
Management Specialist at the IOM Regional Office in Vienna and Identity Management and
Biometrics Officer in the IOM HQ in Geneva the Biometric Passport Expert will:
a) Conduct a rapid assessment of Armenia’s overall identification and travel document management capacity with a particular focus on challenges and opportunities related to electronic passport (ePassport) / electronic ID (eID) issuance, the national Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) and integrated population register. The assessment will be informed by observation, interviews with relevant stakeholders and desk review and analysis of relevant documentation. Particular attention will be paid to any gender-related considerations. The assessment will articulate overall vision for robust identity management in Armenia, focusing on providing recommendations to address needs and options related to the future ePassport /eID. In particular, the assessment will explore and articulate options and scope for a concession as a business model ((BOT – build-operate-transfer) for the implementation of the new ePassport
/eID and any related outsourcing considerations.
b) Carry out a Round Table Workshop for relevant government agencies to validate the assessment and recommendations, including any gender-specific ones, and fine tune the national identity management vision and recommendations for the new ePassport/eID.
c) Develop technical specifications for a tender dossier for the new ePassport/e ID with particular focus on compliance with relevant ICAO specifications and ISO standards. This work item also includes (i) developing transparent evaluation criteria for bidders’ evaluation and selection and (ii) reviewing a draft procurement contract or legal terms and conditions to be used in the contract which is included in the tender document with focus on ICAO compliance and business continuity.
d) Support the Armenian authorities with launching the tender for the new ePassport as may be needed.
e) Provide technical assistance for the evaluation of up to six 6 bids following the ePassport /eID tender and prepare a Final Technical and Price Bid Evaluation Report covering with justified recommendations about optimal choices.
f) Upon completion of the consultant assignment, prepare and submit to IOM a draft final report about the consulting assignment. The report is to include general terms of reference for any follow-up consultancy (i.e. Phase II) that may be required, such as providing support to the Armenian government in the post-tender roll out and commissioning of the ePassport system.
g) Perform other related duties as required.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Completed advanced university degree in technical or social sciences, management or a related discipline, or equivalent qualifications and/or experience.
• At least 12 years of government or private sector project management experience in implementing and managing electronic machine-readable travel documents (MRTD), including electronic MRTD (eMRTD) issuance systems, and related areas of identity and border management.
• Demonstrated ability to guide and supervise MRTD implementation tenders, including those
with a biometric component.
• Excellent up-to-date knowledge of the international regulatory framework related to traveller identification management, including relevant ICAO Standards and Recommended Practices, technical specifications and other Guidance Material (including Annex 9 Facilitation, Document
9303 and the ICAO TRIP Strategy).
• Demonstrated ability to manage quality and ensure ICAO compliance in previous MRTD
• Sound experience in all phases of MRTD tender projects, including demonstrated ability to develop tender specifications and perform bid evaluation.
• Familiarity with the concession model in passport issuance systems and outsourcing practices.
• Good practical knowledge of PKI and the ICAO Public Key Directory (PKD).
• Familiarity with best identity
management international practices, including the Evidence of Identity framework.
• Fluency in English is required. working knowledge of Armenian or Russian is an advantage.
• Expected Duration of the Consultancy: September 01, 2017– March 30, 2018
• Estimated number of working days required for the Consultancy: 65 days spread across the duration of the Consultancy. Some work is to be undertaken in Armenia and some is home based.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment or visa requirements and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 18 August 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 02.08.2017 to 18.08.2017
Requisition: CON2017/55-International Consultant -Identity Management System-Yerevan, Armenia
Posting: Posting NC55136202 (55136202) Released
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT