Organization: International Centre for Migration Policy Development
Closing date: 24 Aug 2017
Vacancy Announcement VA17P067V01
Improving Migration Management in the Silk Routes Countries
Posting date: 02.08.2017
Deadline for applications: 24.08.2017
Duty station: Vienna, Austria
Start date: 01.09.2017
Contract duration: 47 months
Eligible nationalities: All nationalities
The International Centre for Migration Policy Development (ICMPD), an international organisation with its headquarters in Vienna, Austria, is looking for qualified candidates to fill the above-mentioned position.
The project ‘Improving Migration Management in the Silk Routes Countries’ builds upon the results of an earlier project implemented under the umbrella of the Budapest Process in the period 2014-2017. One of the flagship initiatives under the above project focuses on ‘the protection of migrant workers and their rights in major labour receiving countries’.
The flagship initiative aims to contribute to the establishing of effective national labour migration strategies across the Silk Routes Countries (SRCs: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Iran, Iraq and Pakistan), including improved negotiation and implementation of labour migration agreements and raising awareness among aspiring as well as outgoing migrant workers and their families about their potential living and working conditions abroad, their rights and how to seek help in situations of need. The flagship initiative also seeks to enhance recruitment processes as well as protection mechanisms for migrant workers from the SRCs in major labour receiving countries.
The successful candidate will work as Project Manager within the framework of the above project, specifically for the mentioned flagship initiative. The incumbent will have the overall responsibility for the implementation of this flagship initiative, including the design and implementation of activities, coordination of technical assistance and short-term experts, coordination of activities with the beneficiary countries and relevant stakeholders, monitoring and reporting of activities.
The incumbent should be a strong networker and liaise with ease with partners and collaborators in an international environment. The Project Manager reports to the Regional Coordinator – Silk Routes, based in Vienna.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Regional Coordinator – Silk Routes, the incumbent will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Undertakes the overall responsibility for the implementation of the flagship initiative, including the design of activities and the coordination of the technical and financial implementation;
- Manages the day-to-day communication with the beneficiary countries, donor and relevant stakeholders;
- Closely monitors and coordinates the effective implementation of activities with the beneficiary countries, donor and relevant stakeholders;
- Coordinates technical assistance and short term experts (STEs) and provides for supervision and quality control of STEs;
- Provides technical input and advice to the beneficiary authorities and relevant stakeholders;
- Coordinates with the research officer on studies, policy papers and research which needs to be conducted under this flagship initiative;
- Prepares speeches and presentations (using different presentation tools, such as PowerPoint and Prezi) for meetings and conferences;
- Regularly monitors project expenditures, ensures that budget allocations are not exceeded; Identifies resource deficiencies and informs Regional Coordinator;
- Drafts narrative project reports and coordinates the financial reporting with the responsible Resource Management Officer;
- Performs any other duties as required.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in international relations, law, development studies, economics, social or political science, migration studies or related field.
- A minimum of five years relevant work experience at national or international level;
- Of those, a minimum of three years project management experience;
- Experience with implementation of project budgets and monitoring of expenditures.
- Previous experience with governmental and international organisations is an asset
Knowledge, skills, abilities:
- Substantial knowledge of migrants’ rights, protection issues and labour migration
- Excellent oral and written command of English, including the ability to prepare background papers, policy briefs, project reports and presentations
- Knowledge of Arabic, Dari, Farsi, Pashto or Urdu would be an asset.
- Demonstrated organisational skills and efficiency
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, adaptability and flexibility
- Analytical and drafting capacity – capacity to independently prepare reports and presentations
- Good organisational skills including managing conflicting priorities and working with tight deadlines
- Ability to work effectively with colleagues from different cultural and professional backgrounds
- Understanding of migration issues and/or experience with the Silk Routes Region would be an asset
ICMPD Core Values
- Commitment, integrity, partnership, respect, and innovation in actions and decisions.
ICMPD offers an attractive remuneration package, and participation in the ICMPD Provident Fund and Health Insurance Scheme. Additional benefits include six weeks’ annual leave and, where applicable, a dependency rate. 1
How to apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application in English through the ICMPD online recruitment system at http://www.icmpd.org/work-for-us/current-vacancies by midnight (CET) of the closing date specified above. For this purpose, candidates will first need to register with the ICMPD website. Once the relevant data has been entered, candidates will be able to apply for vacancies.
Please note that in the course of the online application, the motivation letter and personal CV must be uploaded in the EuropeAid format in English. The template is available for download at http://www.icmpd.org/work-for-us/.
All applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the deadline stated in this vacancy announcement. Applications received after the published deadline, and offline applications submitted via email, fax or post, will not be considered.
Due to the high volume of applications, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Interviews will be held from 28.08.2017 to 31.08.2017. Testing may be part of the recruitment process.
For enquiries and/or technical support, please contact ICMPD at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ICMPD retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer a contract with a modified job description or for a different duration, or to offer a contract at a lower grade.
Frequent travel to medium and/or high risk areas may be required for the execution of the duties of this position.
ICMPD is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT