Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 16 Aug 2017
Position Title : Programme Officer (Cash Based Interventions (CBI))
Duty Station : Erbil, Iraq
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 16 August 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Congo, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Maldives, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland,
Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the
Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
IOM in Iraq aims to deliver durable solutions using a multi-dimensional approach, including livelihoods projects, rehabilitation of shared economic and social infrastructure, capacity building of local stakeholders and governmental authorities and social cohesion support, promotion of good governance. IOM aims to contribute to stabilization in Iraq by improving the conditions for sustainable economic and social inclusion of vulnerable individuals in communities with significant populations of internally displaced persons (IDPs), refugees and returnees. The approach is comprehensive and participatory, utilizing community-based initiatives that empower local communities to take the lead in their own development and is the mainstay of IOM’s community stabilization and revitalization activities in Iraq.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (COM) in Baghdad, the direct supervision of the Community Revitalization Programme Manager overseeing the Transition and Recovery Unit for nationwide operations, and in coordination with relevant units in IOM Iraq, the successful candidate will be responsible for establishment of a system for Cash Based Interventions (CBI) and Grant Mechanisms. Specifically, he/she will be responsible for providing overall technical and programmatic support for the planning, implementation, management, and monitoring of Cash and Voucher (C&V) based programmes in Iraq. The nature of the interventions will include, among others, Cash for Work interventions, provision of business grants and cash for training. Moreover, s/he will be responsible for scaling the system to multiple locations around the country.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Advise the Programme Manager on integrating CBIs into operational plans and strategies to efficiently meet programme objectives, liaising with technical sectors.
Establish and maintain a network of strategic partnerships (e.g. Government agencies, UN partners, INGOs, research institutions, private sector entities) to ensure complementarity in the assessment, design and implementation of CBIs. Use this information to help select and design optimal solutions for IOM Case Based Interventions.
Overall day to day oversight and management of all cash and voucher transfers planned under IOM operations in Iraq, including facilitating implementation and monitoring of CBI based programmes at the Area/Sub-Office level;
Liaise closely with other IOM units at the Country office (CO) level who have direct responsibilities for elements of the operational management of CBI delivery to beneficiary level e.g. logistics, Finance, Procurement and IT. Advise supervisor of any bottlenecks that may impede the timely delivery of CBI to beneficiaries and take action to resolve problems.
Facilitate and support communication and discussions, and ensure an adequate level of coordination, between relevant IOM Country Office units, and private sector companies, who may be contractually engaged for the management and delivery of CBIs to beneficiaries e.g. banks and telecommunication companies, and review any contractual arrangements made.
Liaison closely with relevant government authorities, UN agencies and NGOs engaged in CBI activities, keeping them fully informed of the status of IOM activities in this regard. Participate in national level dialogue with donors and other stakeholders on cash, vouchers and other CBIs.
Periodically review the appropriateness for CBI responses in accordance with the current concept of operations for IOM CBI, specifically for transition and recovery activities. Choices of transfer modality for any intervention, including business support packages, training allowances, student transportation, etc. need to be fully justified on the basis of overall cost-effectiveness.
Draw up plans for timely delivery of CBIs in coordination with government, NGO and UN
partners, donors, and commercially contracted companies, and monitor their implementation;
Closely coordinate with the M&E section within the Unit and the M&E Unit of the Country Office, to ensure that relevant output and outcome indicators for CBI are systematically being collected and analyzed in a manner that will help the CO determine efficiency and effectiveness of CBI delivery as well as the appropriateness of the transfer modality choice. Undertake visits to view project sites and meet beneficiaries in order to ensure that progress is made in the achievement of project objectives;
Advise IOM Country Office, Area/Sub-Offices and IOM partners on risk management for CBI
based programme implementation;
Ensure, in coordination with other operational IOM units, adherence of Government, NGO, and commercial partners to all operational and reporting obligations as stipulated in any Letters of Agreement or contracts and that reports required for IOM are accurate and provided as scheduled;
Prepare periodic and ad hoc reports on IOM’s CBI based activities in Iraq, including proposals for operational improvements and potential scope for IOM’s CBI programming;
Ensure compliance with IOM’s policies and procedures for CBI based programming;
Supervise other programme staff involved in the planning and management of CBI transfers and provide training and technical guidance in their work;
Perform such other related duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Economics, Social Sciences, Political Science or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience
• Experience working in the field, with at least two years of international experience in programming in CBI;
• Excellent knowledge of CBIs in humanitarian emergencies and/or early recovery contexts, throughout the project cycle;
• Experience with sectoral CBIs (shelter, health, nutrition, food security, WASH, livelihoods, education, etc.);
• Knowledge and understanding of key developments and actors within the humanitarian area;
• Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions and
NGOs and building effective partnerships with private sector;
• Proven ability to supervise, train and direct staff and operations in transitional contexts;
• Work experience in the Middle East and Northern Africa region advantageous.
Fluency in English and French is required. Working knowledge of Arabic or Kurdish is an advantage
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of
self and others;
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 16 August 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 03.08.2017 to 16.08.2017
Requisition: SVN 2017/147(P)-Programme Officer(Cash Based Interventions(CBI))(P3)-Erbil, Iraq
Posting: Posting NC55137877 (55137877) Released
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT