Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 16 Aug 2017
Position Title : Project Officer (Transition and Recovery) (Three Positions)
Duty Station : Erbil, Iraq
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 16 August 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Congo, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Maldives, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland,
Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the
Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
IOM in Iraq aims to deliver durable solutions using a multi-dimensional approach, including livelihoods projects, rehabilitation of shared economic and social infrastructure, capacity building of local stakeholders and governmental authorities and social cohesion support, promotion of good governance. IOM aims to contribute to stabilization in Iraq by improving the conditions for sustainable economic and social inclusion of vulnerable individuals in communities with significant populations of internally displaced persons (IDPs), refugees and returnees. The approach is comprehensive and participatory, utilizing community-based initiatives that empower local communities to take the lead in their own development and is the mainstay of IOM’s community stabilization and revitalization activities in Iraq.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission in Baghdad, in close coordination with the Senior Emergency and Programme Coordinator in Erbil, and under the direct supervision of the Community Revitalization Programme Manager overseeing the Transition and Recovery Unit, the successful candidate will implement and monitor livelihood projects in Iraq and have oversight of specific components of the recovery programme.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Provide support and assistance for the timely start-up of the various phases or components of the projects under the Transition and Recovery Programme in Iraq; specifically the projects funded by United States, Japan, Canada and Germany. Follow-up on logistical and administrative arrangements, cooperate with national and international authorities, provide information and assist with arrangements required for the recruitment of project staff, and ensure that donor reporting information and schedules are available.
Provide inputs and information required for the development and execution of the strategy for transition and recovery for the Iraq country office aimed at maximizing IOM assistance in the areas of livelihood, peace building and conflict prevention, and other durable solutions for internally displaced populations, refugees and host communities.
Contribute to the development of new projects by selecting and summarizing background information, assessing the local context for the planning and administration of individual projects, and drafting segments of project proposals.
Monitor specific aspects of project implementation, identify problems and propose action to expedite the delivery of inputs. Analyze progress and implementation reports, and identify and document significant project events, decisions, problems or deviations.
Coordinate field staff in the implementation of projects and ensure that procurement, finance, logistics, and operational aspects of each activity are being implemented in a timely manner and within the approved budget. Recommend improvements in efficiency and effectiveness where required.
Monitor project expenditures and recommend adjustments where required in order to meet project requirements.
Undertake visits to project sites, provide information and support with respect to project management and internal procedures for monitoring and reporting, and draft comments on designated aspects of project progress as an input to programme monitoring.
Working with the Programme Management Office and Project Support Unit in drafting and coordinating regular project reports in a timely manner, in accordance with IOM procedures and donor requirements.
Assist the Public Information Unit in preparation of press briefing notes, talking points and other public information materials.
Maintain internal liaison with other units within the country offices, the Regional Office in Cairo, IOM Missions implementing similar activities, and Headquarters (HQs) to facilitate a coordinated approach to programme implementation, and to identify synergies.
Participate in IOM Iraq Project Managers meetings when required.
Participate in the emergency livelihoods and social cohesion cluster.
Perform such other related duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Business Administration, Migration Studies, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in managing several types of community based projects;
• Experience in project development and management;
• Experience in emergency and post-crisis environments, community mobilization, humanitarian assistance, human rights;
• Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions;
• Knowledge of UN, IOM and NGO mandates and programmes in the humanitarian responses, IDPs, post conflict environment and development;
• Experience in coordinating with management is an advantage;
• Willing to travel within the country as required.
Fluency in English and French is required.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 16 August 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 03.08.2017 to 16.08.2017
Requisition: SVN2017/148(P)-Project Officer(Transition&Recovery)(3Positions)(P2)-Erbil,Iraq (55137954) Released
Posting: Posting NC55137955 (55137955) Released
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT