Organization: Médecins Sans Frontières
Closing date: 10 Aug 2017
- Location: Based in Beirut with travels to MSF projects and offices
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters and exclusion from healthcare. MSF offers assistance to people based on need, irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
Our actions are guided by medical ethics and the principles of neutrality and impartiality.
To maintain its independence from external interference, MSF relies on donations from private individuals for the vast majority of its income.
- The media and press relations officer works closely with the rest of the hub communications team, and the field communications manager (FCM) to help raise awareness across Lebanon and the region of MSF’s medical humanitarian work in more than 70 countries.
- Through media relations, writing and support to events the media and press relations officer will help to increase visibility for MSF in Lebanon and to engage new and diverse audiences in support of our humanitarian work.
Media and Press Management
Serve as the MSF media focal point in Lebanon towards local, regional and international media.
Actively develop and expand relationships with local, regional and international media and correspondents in Lebanon.
Profile MSF’s work, projects, and concerns on humanitarian crises in the region among regional and international media. Advise on media opportunities and flag best dissemination strategies for getting MSF communication covered.
Support MSF press officers in correcting errors when bad reporting on MSF or/and advise in developing strategies and ways of correcting misrepresentation in media.
Facilitate and organize press briefings for international and regional press media
Facilitate interviews with MSF staff and journalists’ field visits to MSF projects and pitch key issues / projects to media.
Act as a spokesperson for MSF communication if need be
Coach MSF spokespeople and provide media training for field staff dealing with the media in the region
Be available to act as emergency press officer and crisis info focal point during emergencies /crisis/incident in the region. Be able to deploy and provide strategic communication support during the first days of a new emergency or a crisis situation in the region either in situ or by proxy. Prepare in terms of set up for the arrival of an emergency field com officer.
Support and Coordinate MSF Institutional Communication Efforts
Debrief with msf field staff upon their return from mission and pitch stories to local and national media about their experience working with MSF.
Support the communication strategy (material, promotion, media relations) for events and exhibits planned by MSF in Lebanon.
Liaise with communications advisors in MSF’s international offices to arrange interviews for local, regional and international media based in Lebanon, fact check stories, and organize press visits.
Provide weekly monitoring of MSF mentions in local, regional and international media in Lebanon.
Upon request provide support to communication advisers/field staff to develop and drive communication strategies.
Liaise with MSF field communications officers in the country and in the region to provide support and enhance coherence and output of MSF communications on specific issues and themes.
Provide communications advice on national/regional issues: advise the field on specific communications issues relevant for the region.
Timely flagging of communications opportunities and risks (that may require reactive support).
Advise on public positioning in relation to key issues.
Liaise with MSF advocacy representatives in the region to increase synergy between bilateral efforts and public comms initiatives in Lebanon.
Support in the production of content in the form of articles, op-eds, reports, and visuals.
· Essential: degree in Journalism, Communications, Humanitarian affairs, Political Sciences or related university degree.
· Essential: previous working experience of at least -5 years in communications, journalism or public relations in Lebanon.
· Essential: previous working experience in media management, coordinating communication strategies notably at time of emergencies/crisis and content production
· Essential: experience with MSF or other international NGOs in developing countries
· Key experience in the region and in humanitarian related matters
· Previous experience in overseas work
· Excellent management and communication skills, outgoing personality, good representation.
· Desirable: Social media skills
· Arabic .
· Essential computer literacy (word, excel and digital media)
· Strategic Vision
· People Management
How to apply:
Please send your CV and a motivation letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for application: August 10, 2017. Please mention : Media and Press Relations Officer in the subject of your email
Applications without a motivation letter will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT