Organization: UN Office on Drugs and Crime
Closing date: 19 Aug 2017
I. Position Information
Number of Positions: One (1)
Contract Type and Level: Service Contract – SB3
Project No.: GLO/G80
Duration of contract: 1 year (renewable upon satisfactory performance and availability of funds)
Supervisor: Regional Programme Coordinator in Lebanon
Duty Station: Beirut, Lebanon
II. Organizational Context
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships
This position is located in the UNODC Programme Office in Lebanon. The incumbent will be under the direct supervision of the UNODC Regional Programme Coordinator in Lebanon, and the Regional Programme Coordinator located in the regional office in Cairo, Egypt as a second reporting officer, and under the overall guidance of the Regional Representative for the Middle East and North Africa.
The incumbent will assist in the implementation of the Container Control Programme (CCP, GLO/G80) in the Middle East and North Africa. The CCP builds capacity in those countries seeking to improve trade security, facilitation standards and controls at their borders to prevent illicit trafficking, organized crime and terrorism.
III. Functions / Key Results Expected
Under the overall guidance of the Regional Representative and the direct supervision of the Regional Programme Coordinator, and in close cooperation with the UNODC ROMENA and the UNODC HQ CCP staff concerned, the Project Assistant will, within assigned authority, perform the following tasks:
1. Summary of the key functions:
The incumbent will assist in the provision of technical and administrative services related to project implementation in the Middle east and North Africa as per the role attributed by ROMENA in the Umoja decentralized management and financial system. The incumbent will carry-out the following general task:
· Contribute to the implementation of UNODC technical assistance activities, by undertaking administrative support activities and other assigned tasks which includes financial flows, and expenditures as per the attributed role and in support of the implementation of the CCP.
2. Specific tasks to be performed by the Project Assistant:
· Assist in the implementation of field activities;
· Support the development of narrative progress and financial reports;
· Contribute to developing a filing system for the project, and maintain filing accordingly;
· Prepare the administrative and financial tasks, as per the role attributed in the administrative systems (Umoja) and follow up with UNDP Offices in the Middle east and North Africa region the payments/procurement process;
· Assist in initiating and finalizing budget revisions, work plans, inventory lists, notes to the file, etc. to facilitate the implementation and monitoring of project activities;
· Provide support to the project on aspects related to expenditures in maintaining expenditures records and related activities balance in parallel to the UNODC administrative systems;
· Prepare draft TORs for consultants, RFQ for services and procurement;
· Perform other duties, including drafting of correspondence, contributing to project documents, minutes of meetings, etc.
· Plan and organize procurement of goods and services required for the UNODC in the Middle East and North Africa region, ensure compliance with Umoja system and UNDP regulations.
· Fulfill any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
IV. Impact of Results
Smooth implementation of the project, which in turn contributes to the Regional Programme of UNODC and the overall CCP.
V. Competencies and Critical Success Factors
Demonstrates commitment to UNODC mission, vision and values.
Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability**.**
Teamwork: Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnership and working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity and gender.
Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently;
Communications: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
Creativity: Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
VI. Recruitment Qualifications
- College or university degree in business, management, public administration, project management or related fields.
2 years of relevant experience is required;
Experience in the use of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, as well as experience in handling of web-based management systems are required.
Previous work experience with the UN is desirable.
Work experience with Umoja management system is desirable.
Excellent written and oral English and Arabic languages.
Knowledge of French is an advantage.
- Excellent computer and word processing skills.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit their duly filled P.11 form and a cover letter explaining why they think they are the best candidate for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business Saturday, 19 August 2017, writing in the subject line the title of the position.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT