Organization: International Centre for Migration Policy Development
Closing date: 18 Aug 2017
Vacancy Announcement VA17P066V01
Improving Migration Management in the Silk Routes Countries
Posting date: 02.08.2017
Deadline for applications: 18.08.2017
Duty station: Islamabad, Pakistan
Start date: 01.09.2017
Contract duration: 47 months
Eligible nationalities: All nationalities
The International Centre for Migration Policy Development (ICMPD), an international organisation with its headquarters in Vienna, Austria, is looking for qualified candidates to fill the above-mentioned position.
The project ‘Improving Migration Management in the Silk Routes Countries’ builds upon the results of an earlier project implemented under the umbrella of the Budapest Process in the period 2014-2017. One of these results is the successful piloting of two Migrant Resource Centres (MRCs) in Pakistan. The work of two MRCs has demonstrated the great deficit of information on migration available to the general public and media as well as government stakeholders. The MRCs aim to fill this information gap.
In the second phase, further MRCs are being established in all Silk Routes countries (SRCs) to raise awareness on migration at individual as well as at the community level. At the individual level, they provide for individual counselling for outgoing and potential migrants and pre-departure orientation as well as referral to skills training, support structures, etc. At the community level, MRCs seek to create awareness on safe and regular migration and on the dangers and consequences of irregular migration. The MRCs also work to increase awareness of governmental and non-governmental actors on migration.
The successful candidate will work as Project Officer within the framework of the above project specifically as regards the establishment, operations and administration of the MRCs in Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq and Pakistan. The incumbent will be responsible for supporting the set-up and continuation of MRCs in the SRCs and their effective implementation. The Project Officer will also support the coordination of the work of all MRCs.
The incumbent should be a strong networker and liaise with ease with partners and collaborators in an international environment. The Project Officer reports to the ‘Project Manager – Migrant Resource Centres (MRCs)’ based in Islamabad/Vienna.
The position is a full-time position in Islamabad, Pakistan, with frequent travels to other Silk Routes countries.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Project Manager – MRCs, the incumbent will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Supports the set-up and continuation of the Migrant Resource Centres in the SRCs;
- Communicates with partners and relevant stakeholders in the SRCs;
- In cooperation with the respective Country Coordinators, supports the implementation and coordination of the work of the MRCs, including the development of work plans, information, visibility and training materials;
- Participates in relevant outreach activities organised by the MRCs;
- Supports the monitoring and coordination of MRC activities with the donor, beneficiaries and relevant stakeholders;
- Participates in the design and delivery of training to new MRC staff;
- Prepares speeches and presentations (using different presentation tools, such as PowerPoint and Prezi) for meetings and project activities;
- Regularly monitors project expenditures, ensures that budget allocations are not exceeded. Identifies resource deficiencies and informs Project Manager;
- Contributes to the drafting of project reports;
- Performs any other duties as required.
- University degree (Bachelors degree or higher) in international relations, law, development studies, economics, social or political science, migration studies or related field.
- A minimum of three years of relevant work experience in the field of project management.
Knowledge, skills, abilities:
- Excellent organisation skills and implementation capacities
- Experience with the implementation of project budgets and monitoring of expenditures
- Analytical and drafting capacity – capacity to independently prepare reports and presentations
- Strong knowledge about and understanding for work-plans, budgets and reporting
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- High flexibility, ability to work under time pressure, to prioritise multiple tasks and responsibility to meet deadlines
- Ability to work effectively with colleagues from different cultural and professional backgrounds.
- Previous experience with governmental and non-governmental organisations would be an asset
- Understanding of migration issues and/or experience with the Silk Routes Region would be an asset
- Excellent oral and written command of English
- Knowledge of Arabic, Dari, Farsi, Pashto or Urdu would be an asset.
ICMPD Core Values
- Commitment, integrity, partnership, respect, and innovation in actions and decisions.
ICMPD offers an attractive remuneration package, and participation in the ICMPD Provident Fund and Health Insurance Scheme. Additional benefits include six weeks’ annual leave and, where applicable, a dependency rate.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application in English through the ICMPD online recruitment system at http://www.icmpd.org/work-for-us/current-vacancies by midnight (CET) of the closing date specified above. For this purpose, candidates will first need to register with the ICMPD website. Once the relevant data has been entered, candidates will be able to apply for vacancies.
Please note that in the course of the online application, the motivation letter and personal CV must be uploaded in the EuropeAid format in English. The template is available for download at http://www.icmpd.org/work-for-us/.
All applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the deadline stated in this vacancy announcement. Applications received after the published deadline, and offline applications submitted via email, fax or post, will not be considered.
Due to the high volume of applications, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Interviews will be held from 21.08.2017 to 25.08.2017. Testing may be part of the recruitment process.
For enquiries and/or technical support, please contact ICMPD at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ICMPD retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer a contract with a modified job description or for a different duration, or to offer a contract at a lower grade.
Frequent travel to medium and/or high risk areas may be required for the execution of the duties of this position.
ICMPD is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT