Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 18 Aug 2017
SPECIAL VACANCY NOTICE
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title: National Reconciliation Programming Officer
Vacancy Notice: SVN/IOM/050/2017
Duty Station: Mogadishu, Somalia
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade NO-A (Third Party Contract)
Type of Appointment: Short term, six (6) months with possibility of extension
Organizational Unit: Somalia Stabilization Initiatives (SSI)
Direct Supervision: Deputy Chief of Party – SSI
Overall Supervision: Chief of Party – SSI
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 04 August 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
The OTI funded SSI project in Somalia is primarily a community-based, small grants initiative implemented in close coordination with the donor, with communities in priority areas, and with all levels of Government, particularly newly formed District Administrations and regional state institutions. The overall objective of the program is to support the political transition of Somalia towards a functioning and stabilized Federal State through activities that promote good governance, consolidation of the federal structure, and a receptive environment to respond to emerging political contingencies;
Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Chief of Party for the Somalia Stabilization Initiative (SSI), the, the Reconciliation Program Officer will be responsible for contributing to the formulation and implementation of the program’s reconciliation plan, working closely with the various SSI program teams and USAID/OTI to coordinate and plan both stand-alone activities and those integrated into broader program activities.
Under the overall guidance of the Chief of Mission of IOM Somalia and under the overall supervision of the SSI Chief of Party and reporting directly to the SSI Deputy Chief of party in Mogadishu, the incumbent will be responsible for the planning, coordination, execution, monitoring, and management of the reconciliation program of the OTI SSI portfolio, starting in in the Jubbaland state of Somalia (JSS) and possibly expanding into other areas, as needed and determined in consultation with the Senior Management Team (SMT) and USAID/OTI.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
The National Reconciliation Program Officer responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following;
Provide input to the program management on implementation plan including where to focus program resources, operational relationships with government entities and operational challenges as they arise in areas of operation;
Participate in baseline conflict assessment and peace mapping, research and coordination of data and research on conflicts and peace across the country with training programs for IOM-SSI staff, Somali Government officials and other partners;
Suggest uniform and consistent reconciliation and peace-building activities at the national, state and district level;
Provide input to grant and procurement award processes to ensure that activity deliverables are achieved, including drafting scopes of work for service providers and implementing partners, monitoring technical deliverables and following up on deadlines to ensure on-time delivery of project outputs;
Provide technical advice and support field staff in planning and implementation of reconciliation activities;
Ensure portfolio program successes are appropriately shared with the SMT;
Share information on relevant reconciliation activities to the Reporting Unit for the preparation of weekly/Biweekly report;
Undertake duty travel as required, to support implementation of reconciliation activities and to identify where adaptations might be needed;
Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the SSI Deputy Chief of Party.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in international relations, Political or Social sciences or a related field;
- Master’s degree in either of the above fields will be an added advantage;
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Office suite;
- Demonstrated experience in project Cycle management;
- Proven skills and experience projects monitoring and evaluation’
- Good report writing skills;
- Thorough understanding and knowledge in working and coordinating with government agencies and other development partners.
- Minimum of Two years of professional experience with a Master’s degree or a minimum of Five years of professional experience, in the field of governance and development especially in international organizations such as NGOs or USAID funded programs;
- Experience in community participation and consensus-building projects;
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of government structures and current development planning in Somalia;
- Demonstrated capacity to understand and analyze the national, regional, and local political context in Somalia, and especially Mogadishu;
- A drive for results in a high-volume, quick-paced program environment; creativity and analytical capability required to respond to evolving program demands and current events.
Fluency in English and Somali is required.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programs or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighboring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighboring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Vacancy Notice Number (SVN No….) with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing Date: 18th August 2017
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Posting period: 04.08.2017 to 18.08.2017
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT