Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 14 Aug 2017
SPECIAL VACANCY NOTICE
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Project Advisor (Media) – Re-advertisement
General Service Staff, Grade G5 (Third Party Contractor)
Type of Appointment
Short term, six (6) months with possibility of extension
Somalia Stabilization Initiatives (SSI)
Strategic Communication and Media Officer
Estimated Start Date
As soon as possible
14th August, 2017**
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
The OTI funded SSI project in Somalia is primarily a community-based, small grants initiative implemented in close coordination with the donor, with communities in priority areas, and with all levels of Government, particularly newly formed District Administrations and regional state institutions. The overall objective of the program is to support the political transition of Somalia towards a functioning and stabilized Federal State through activities that promote good governance, consolidation of the federal structure, and a receptive environment to respond to emerging political contingencies;
Under the overall supervision of the Field Coordinator in Mogadishu and the direct supervision of the Strategic Communication and Media Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for assisting the, coordination, execution, and monitoring of small grants, specifically media and communication related in South West State Administration.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Assist the Strategic Communication and Media Officer in grant implementation, monitoring and grant proposal writing;
Assist the Strategic Communication and Media Officer in grant operations and reporting;
Prepare and maintain an updated electronic and hard copy of all grant documents in close coordination with the grants team;
Prepare weekly grants report on the implementation of grants in his/her area of responsibility in accordance with the priorities established by the project’s Senior Management team (SMT);
Coordinate media activities and press releases for all grants, in collaboration with SSI Strategic Communication and Media Officer in Nairobi;
Work closely with the logistics, finance, procurement and grants teams to ensure implementation timely procurement and delivery, payments for goods and services;
Represent the SSI project in various forums and to discuss coordinated responses to recovery and transition initiatives;
Assist the Communication unit to collect grant-related information for weekly reporting purposes;
Assist in monitoring of communication activities for the SSI project;
Assist during training and workshops to help all SSI staff understand strategic communication plans at the activity level
Assist in developing communication products e.g. short videos, documentaries, success stories, snapshots, for the program;
Assist in discerning lessons learned and documenting obstacles/challenges and resulting mitigating measures;
Assist in grant activity closure process.
Required Qualifications and Experience
· University degree in Journalism, Mass Communications or a related field;
· A demonstrated record of field-based project management experience in positions of increasing responsibility; preferably in Somalia;
· Thorough knowledge of United States Agency for International Development (USAID) programming and standard requirements, specifically with Stabilization project in Somalia is an asset.
· Three years’ professional experience, a majority of which will have been in Emergency and Post-crises settings preferably in Somalia, with experience in community-based communication activities and working with media ;
· Demonstrated experience in the field of media relations in Somalia;
· Well proven and demonstrated experience in developing communication strategies and supporting media activities for large events;
· Well proven and demonstrated capacity and experience with social media channels;
· Ability to develop clear messaging and visual materials for large events;
- Thorough knowledge and demonstrated capacity to understand and analyze the national, regional, and local political context and government structures in Somalia;
- Excellent communication and writing skills; ability to analyse complex problems and identify and convey clear, rapid, solutions;
- Effective resource management skills; ability to work with a large pool of staff in a dynamic, operational program environment; ability to develop and maintain budgetary discipline across a wide range of grant activities;
- Ability to engender group involvement, team spirit and participation; must be able to lead teams effectively in order to achieve the desired goals;
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds, exhibiting a high degree of sensitivity toward other cultures and dedication to the permission of interethnic cooperation, peace-building and tolerance; demonstrated gender awareness and gender sensitivity;
- Ability to exhibit discretion in the conduct of professional duties; Personal commitment, drive for results, and adaptability in the workplace as required by changing Program conditions and requirements; Ability to work long hours under difficult conditions while maintaining security awareness;
- Willingness to uphold and enforce professional standards of conduct, in accordance with relevant donor requirements;
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Excel, PowerPoint, Good knowledge of information technology and proficiency in Microsoft Office applications especially Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, and SharePoint.
Fluency in English and Somali is required.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Vacancy Notice Number (SVN No. on the subject line) with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: email@example.com
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Closing Date: 14th August 2017; only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Posting period: From 01.08.2017 to 14.08.2017
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT