Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 17 Aug 2017
SPECIAL VACANCY NOTICE
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Senior Project Advisor – Gedo Region
General Service Staff, Grade G6 (Third Party Contractor)
Type of Appointment
Short term, six (6) months with possibility of extension
Somalia Stabilization Unit
National Project Officer
Estimated Start Date
As soon as possible
17th August 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
The OTI funded SSI project in Somalia is primarily a community-based, small grants initiative implemented in close coordination with the donor, with communities in priority areas, and with all levels of Government, particularly newly formed District Administrations and regional state institutions. The overall objective of the program is to support the political transition of Somalia towards a functioning and stabilized Federal State through activities that promote good governance, consolidation of the federal structure, and a receptive environment to respond to emerging political contingencies;
Under the overall supervision of the Field Coordinator and reporting directly to the National Project Officer, the incumbent will responsible for the planning, coordination, execution, monitoring, and overall management of the SSI project within the Gedo region of Somalia.
The Sr. Project Advisor will represent the interests of the program in his/her area of responsibility. In doing so, the Sr. Project Advisor will work in an integrated manner with the Somali Government and regional and district authorities with a particular focus on, outreach and coordination with local communities.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Assist in providing advice to the program management on programmatic strategy including where to focus program resources, how to develop operational relationships with government entities and operational challenges as they arise;
Develop, coordinate and implement methodologies for engaging government entities and local communities in on-going bases for project identification and implementation;
Write-up and recommend projects through on-going consultations with stakeholders using the Programme’s Activity Database;
Develop, implement and share with other program staff in Kismayo, Mogadishu and Nairobi methodologies for small grant project implementation that incorporates a consultative approach between the government entities and communities;
Develop, implement and share with other program staff in Kismayo, Mogadishu and Nairobi monitoring and evaluation processes;
Responsible for overall grant design and implementation process in the Gedo Region, including the supervision of the Project Advisors, Project Monitors and Site Supervisors in Gedo;
Assist the National Project Officer proactively identify potential grantees and grants that are appropriate to respond to overall program goals;
Provide technical assistance to grantees as required, or arrange technical assistance from the relevant government authority;
Assist the National Project Officer and M&E Assistant in evaluating grants throughout implementation and once the grant activities are closed out;
Report as necessary to program management in Kismayo, Mogadishu and Nairobi on all aspects of project design and implementation;
Undertake regular travel to the districts in order to identify, develop and/or support programming opportunities;
Provide program management with ongoing assessment and anticipation of political events, including potential impacts and outcomes of community grants;
Undertake any further duties as requested.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree s in law, international relations, governance and development studies or a related field
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Office suite.
- Demonstrated experience in project Cycle management
- Proven skills and experience projects monitoring and evaluation
- Good report writing skills
- Thorough understanding and knowledge in working and coordinating with government agencies and other development partners
- Minimum of six years of professional experience in the field of governance and development, or management, especially in international organizations such as NGOs or USAID funded programmes.
- Three years specific experience in the field of development with project design, implementation and management.
- Experience in community participation and consensus-building projects.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of government structures and current development planning in Somalia.
- Demonstrated capacity to understand and analyse the national, regional, and local political context in Somalia, and especially Kismayo.
- A drive for results in a high-volume, quick-paced programme environment; creativity and analytical capability required to respond to evolving programme demands and current events.
Fluency in English and Somali is required.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Vacancy Notice Number (SVN No…) with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: email@example.com
Closing Date: 17th August 2017.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT