Organization: UN Human Settlements Program
Closing date: 18 Aug 2017
Functional title: Spatial/Urban Planner (national position)
Duty station of assignment: Mitrovica South, Kosovo*, with frequent travel to other Kosovo Municipalities
Duration of assignment: Six months (with possibility of extension) *Closing date for applications:* 18th August 2017
UN-Habitat has been actively assisting Kosovo institutions in the field of governance, spatial planning and municipal administration since 1999. Building on the results and tools generated by the Municipal Spatial Planning Support Programme (implemented from 2005 to 2016), the present programme aims to provide a strategic, comprehensive package of support to build municipal planning and management capacities, strengthen the social contract and social cohesion, and enhance coordination within a framework of inter-municipal cooperation and multi-level governance with a view to foster inclusive development and good governance in northern Kosovo.
The project is financed by the Swedish Development Cooperation Agency and will be jointly implemented with PAX and Community Building Mitrovica and concerned local authorities in Leposavic/Leposaviq, Mitrovica South, Mitrovica North, Zubin Potok, and Zvecan/Zvecan as well as Skenderaj/Srbica and Vushtrri/Vucitrn.
For general information on UN-Habitat in Kosovo refer to the website:
Purpose of the Post
The general purpose of the post is to work together with municipal planners, municipal planning teams, central level planners, civil society organizations and key stakeholders in drafting spatial and urban plans and policy documents as well as undertaking other interventions related to spatial and urban planning. The incumbent should also liaise with central level institutions in matters related to spatial and urban planning, as required.
Skill Sets Required
A range of skills will be required in: spatial and urban planning; project management; development control; transport and mobility planning; urban design; environmental planning and management; infrastructure planning; local economic development planning; housing policy and finance; disaster risk assessment and management; stakeholder and civil society participation; ability to collect, record and interpret data; ability to interpret legislation and to provide guidance for its enforcement; and legislative framework relating to planning and a good working knowledge of the recently adopted Law on Spatial Planning. The Spatial/Urban Planner is expected to strengthen the skills, experience and knowledge of their partners through a variety of means but primarily involving learning-by-doing, side by side in-service training methods, and experience sharing.
Under the guidance of the Chief Technical Advisor (CTA) and direct supervision of relevant UN-Habitat’s spatial planners, the Spatial/Urban Planner will be responsible for performing the following main tasks:
Provide technical on-the-job assistance and guidance to the municipal planners and municipal planning bodies, on a daily basis, using an inclusive planning process.
Provide technical support and advice in the formulation and drafting of Spatial and Urban Plans as applicable, and for related participatory processes.
Provide support for data collection and required mapping.
Facilitate the integration of environmental aspects into municipal planning activities.
Assist in strengthening the skills and experience of counterparts, institution building of municipal planning units, also through training delivery.
Promote dialogue among local authorities and civil society and other key stakeholders.
Provide substantive inputs to ongoing work at central level on developing concepts for the implementation of the Law on Spatial Planning in partner Municipalities and general planning policy development.
Contribute to knowledge-management, communication and outreach activities of the programme.
Act as a liaison person between the programme and municipal counterparts, as necessary.
Undertake tasks in other partner Municipalities of the programme, as required.
Assist with translation and interpretation, both verbal and written, when required by the CTA. Provide language quality checks of written materials.
Provide monthly progress reports and inputs to progress reports for the Prishtina/ Pristina office.
Provide logistical and administrative support and perform any other functions and tasks which may be required by the nature of the programme’s activities.
The work shall be performed from the municipality of Mitrovica South. Transport to and from work will be the staff member’s responsibility. Travel to other partner municipalities and Prishtina/Pristina Office will be covered by the programme.
Professionalism: Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Ability to conduct data collection and technical assessment using various methods, including field missions and interviews. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct research and analysis. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Communication: Excellent and effective written and oral skills; ability to persuade people with varying points of view and to present information in a concise and accurate manner, ability to clearly communicate links between the organizations. Planning and Organizing: Proven ability to plan, coordinate and monitor own work and that of others. Ability to work under pressure and uses time efficiently. Identifies priority activities and assignments, adjust priorities as required. Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by valuing others ideas and expertise and is willing to learn from others. *Creativity:*** Strong conceptual thinking. Is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches, takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”, and offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs. Can easily develop clear plans in contexts with limited information and datasets. Finds ways to extract and combine data and information to create base maps.
Qualifications and requirements
NOTE: The quality and extent of the person’s qualifications, skills and experience in the requirements below will determine the grade/level to which a successful applicant will be appointed
Education and experience
• Advanced University degree (masters Level) in regional/ urban planning, or urban environment. A university degree in any relevant fields to sustainable urban development in combination with four additional years of qualifying work-experience in regional/ urban planning, or urban environment, may be acceptable in lieu of the required advanced university degree;
• Professional practical experience in related field;
• English is the working language of UN-Habitat Kosovo Office; very good command of English, Albanian and Serbian is required – reading, writing and speaking;
• Good working knowledge of the Law on Spatial Planning and other relevant legislation within the field of urban and spatial planning;
• Good knowledge and understanding of best practices within the field of urban and spatial planning. International experience would be an advantage;
• Proven experience with innovative participatory planning approaches and modern planning techniques; understanding of European trends and concepts in planning;
• Demonstrated experience in training design and delivery and institutional capacity building;
• Good knowledge of environmental/natural resources principles and standards; Familiar with principles of sustainable development, integrated planning, strategic environmental assessment and other instruments for environmental integration and management;
• Experience in working municipalities and with a wide range of actors;
• Knowledge and experience of MuSPP tools is an asset;
• Capable of working in a team and undertaking initiative to ensure smooth relations and open communication within the team and with partners;
• Good analytical, solution defining, creative and interpersonal skills;
• Computer skill is a requirement; working knowledge of GIS will be advantage;
• Valid driving license and the ability to obtain a UN driver’s license.
The candidate should be:
• Familiar with, and committed to the goals of UN-Habitat
• Willing to take responsibility, act professionally at all times, and make sure tasks are fully completed
• Be willing to work across the entire partner municipalities geographical area, including temporary placements at other field offices
• Able to innovate and initiate activities from scratch
• Able to work under pressure in diverse environments with minimum supervision
• Sensitive to gender issues and issues of concern to vulnerable groups
• Flexible and prepared to pursue goals through teamwork
• Able to meet deadlines for reporting and all project work
• Express enthusiasm and willingness to continue learning new skills and share experiences with other members of the team
‘* “This designation is without prejudice to positions on status, and is in line with UNSCR1244/99 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo declaration of independence.”
How to apply:
Interested candidates must submit an email to the email address:
with the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
· Cover letter explaining why they are the most suitable for the work
· Completion of a CV in P11 Form which can be downloaded at
The CV shall include information on the past experience in similar projects and at least 3 references.
Deadline for applications: 18th August 2017
For the detailed job description please check the UN-Habitat Kosovo website:
UN-Habitat does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. If you have any questions concerning persons or companies claiming to be recruiting on behalf of these offices and requesting the payment of a fee, please contact: email@example.com
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT