Organization: World Food Programme
Closing date: 20 Aug 2017
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. We are seeking qualified individuals with experience working in culturally sensitive areas to fill the position of Human Resources Officer position at the P3 level, based in Khartoum, Sudan.
Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their shattered lives. Present in nearly 80 countries, the organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to nutritious food and contribute to the lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
WFP in Sudan is undertaking a new strategic shift from ‘life saving’ to ‘life saving and life changing’ as part of the country strategic planning process. WFP’s food assistance is being realigned to help achieve longer-term, food security outcomes as per Sustainable Development Goal 2 by helping bridge the divide between emergency and development. To support this shift, the Human Resources function in the country will undertake a comprehensive learning needs analysis and develop talent building and talent acquisition solutions ensuring that WFP staff be equipped with the right skills going forward.
WFP Sudan employs a diverse workforce of 1,100 employees located across 17 offices at regional and deep field level.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Under the general supervision and guidance of the Head of the Human Resources Unit, the Human Resources Officer, P3 will be responsible for the following key duties:
- Participate in the development of country specific plans and processes, and lead the delivery of HR operational activities or projects to meet local objectives and support WFP strategic goals, ensuring alignment with wider WFP policies.
- Provide advice to managers and employees on complex issues, understanding their needs and ensuring that HR policies, procedures, processes, systems and tools are available and correctly applied to support them.
- Ensure the effective management of the employment relationship between WFP and its staff, determining conditions of service, contracts and appropriate entitlements, and resolving more complex employee relations issues.
- Manage capability building, working with managers to understand individual skills and business requirements, and delivering development solutions which equip people with the skills and knowledge required to meet current and future challenges.
- Plan and deliver an on-boarding process which ensures new employees have a positive experience of WFP, and are successfully integrated into their new role and the organisation.
- Contribute to building and managing talent within WFP, working with managers to understand their needs and planning/implementing solutions to recruit, retain, manage and develop a high calibre workforce to deliver business objectives.
- Deliver organizational design activities that enable senior management to define and organize structures and jobs, and allocate people to the right places in order to improve efficiency.
- Lead and motivate a small of HR staff, monitoring performance, providing coaching, training and guidance to ensure appropriate development and enable high performance.
- Monitor the accurate and compliant recording of data; coordinate and prepare timely corporate statistics and conduct analysis, identifying trends and potential issues, and proposing solutions to stakeholders.
- Maintain and share knowledge of best practice, and support the development and implementation of new/improved HR policies, systems and procedures to ensure they are reflective of legislation, and support WFP effectively.
- Other duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Advanced university degree in Human Resource Management, Public or Business Administration, Industrial Psychology or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience or trainings/courses.
- Five years or more of postgraduate progressively responsible professional experience in Human Resources with an interest in international humanitarian development. Having at least 1 year of international experience is an asset.
- Experience of managing small teams of staff with related areas of expertise.
- Proven experience in developing Learning & Development initiatives and/or conducting Learning Needs Assessments is desirable.
Technical Skills & Knowledge:
- Sound theoretical understanding of HR concepts and principles with a broad knowledge of best practices, techniques and processes.
- Ability to lead, coach and motivate a team.
- Good communication skills with the ability to persuade, influence and adapt communication style to different situations and individuals.
- Knowledge of common business principles and processes and the ability to quickly assimilate UN/WFP specific processes and systems.
- Ability to build and maintain effective work relationships with human resources counterparts, managers and staff within HQ/regional/country office.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to establish priorities, and to plan, coordinate and monitor own work plan and those under his/her supervision.
- Ability to draft clear concise reports or rationale for human resources decisions.
- Fluency in oral and written English.
- Intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages). Fluency in oral and written Arabic is highly desirable.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year. He/she may be required to travel abroad sometime to remote and difficult locations**.**
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan, and medical insurance. For more details please visit icsc.un.org
Qualified candidates and female applicants are especially encouraged to apply.
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
REF: VA # 61361
Deadline for applications: 20 August 2017
How to apply:
To apply, please follow this link.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT