Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 17 Aug 2017
Position Title : Administrative & Finance Asst (Global Forum on Migration & Development (GFMD)
Duty Station : Geneva, Switzerland
Classification : General Service Staff, Grade G5
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, One year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 17 August 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
The Global Forum on Migration and Development (GFMD) is a voluntary, inter-governmental, non-binding and informal consultative process open to all Member States and Observers of the United Nations. Its purpose is to address the multi-dimensional aspects, opportunities and challenges related to international migration and its inter-linkages with development, to bring together government expertise from all regions, to enhance dialogue, cooperation and partnership and to foster practical and action-oriented outcomes at the national, regional and global levels.
To provide administrative, logistical, and financial support to the Co-Chairs-in-Office, the GFMD Support Unit (SU) was established in 2008, hosted by the International Organization for Migration (IOM). As host agency, IOM provides administrative support for the GFMD SU, which nevertheless remains strictly independent of IOM.
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the Head, Global Forum on Migration and Development (GFMD) Support Unit (SU) and in close coordination with other staff members working in the SU, the successful candidate will provide financial and administrative support services and assistance to the GFMD Support Unit, the GFMD Chair-in-Office and its Taskforce/Secretariat.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Assist in budget and financial management including maintaining records, administering the office petty cash, monitoring monthly transactions, submitting payment requests and keeping procurement records for monthly utilities, goods and other services used by the Support Unit or the GFMD Chair.
Help keep track of GFMD international contributions, maintain records, write acknowledgement letters to donors and assist in preparing the financial and narrative reports to donors.
Provide secretarial functions to the SU including answering phone calls, monitoring incoming and outgoing communications and preparing travel request and other admin support for the Head of SU and other duly authorized SU staff.
Coordinate with relevant IOM offices that backstop the administrative, financial and logistical requirements of the GFMD Support Unit.
Organize the logistics of GFMD preparatory meetings in Geneva, including coordination with the meeting venue and other service providers, follow up of attendance and preparation of participants’ list.
Assist in supporting travel related process for GFMD funded delegates (thematic meetings, Forum Meetings, and others as may be required by the Chairmanship), including coordinating with concerned IOM offices and/or external service providers.
Provide logistical and administrative support in the organization of the Forum meeting.
Coordinate with SU staff and IOM colleagues on issues of office operations.
Perform such other related duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• University degree in Accounting, Commerce, Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant experience; or
• Completed High school / Secondary school education with four years of relevant experience.
• Experience in accounting, financial reporting, budget tracking and general administrative duties;
• Experience in facilitating international contributions and liaising with national, regional and international institutions in this regard;
• Experience in drafting and preparing clear and concise correspondences;
• Experience working in an international organization an advantage;
• High level of computer literacy, particularly in Microsoft programs such as Excel, Word, Mail merge (or similar software applications);
• Knowledge of SAP (PRISM) or related financial software system an advantage.
Fluency in English and French is required.Working knowledge of Spanish an advantage.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only applications from Swiss nationals and candidates residing in Switzerland with a valid residence/ working permit will be considered
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 17 August 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on
your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 04.08.2017 to 17.08.2017
Requisition: VN2017/04(GS)-Admin&FinanceAsst(Global Forum on Migration&Dev)(G5)-Geneva,Switze
Posting: Posting NC55138709 (55138709) Released
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT