Organization: Médecins Sans Frontières
Closing date: 20 Aug 2017
Radio Telecom Specialist (f/m)
Médecins Sans Frontières is an international, independent medical and humanitarian organisation that provides care to populations in need, to people affected by natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflicts, without discrimination and regardless of their race, religion, belief or political affiliation (MSF Charter).
The MSF movement is built around 5 operational centres supported by 24 sections and offices worldwide. MSF Operational Centre Geneva (MSF OCG) is one of these centres. The operations are implemented by around 40 field teams, 20 mission coordination teams and organizational units based in Africa, Middle East, Asia and Central America. The field operations are guided and supported by 4 Operational Desks, the Emergency Desk and other departments supporting operations, including the Medical Department and Information Systems.
The Information System Department is opening a position for a specialist ICT/Radio-TELECOM, who has interest in operational challenges and technique.
MSF operational activities require Radio-Telecommunication network and ICT network in order to run and coordinate operation in the field.
Voice telecommunication means are part of security plan while ICT network are crucial to run MSF activities.
- The IT Field – Radio Telecom Specialist will have to enhance the installation and knowledge of our Radio installation in the field.
- S/he will have to improve the quality and organisation of our Radio support to the missions in the field.
- S/he will be able to give support to the local contacts.
- S/he will work with IT Field Support team to improve and/or implement MSF processes, tools and techniques related to Radio-telecommunication.
- S/he will be proactive to evaluate and propose solutions in line with the equipment used within MSF.
- S/he will propose and build up an organization and structure to be able to have a sustainable service to run the Radio support and development service.
The Radio-Telecom specialist will be part of the IT Field Support team reporting to the IT Infrastructure Manager.
- Plan and Coordinate with IT Field Support, logistics and operations teams the deployment of equipment, systems and applications linked to the radio-telecom
- Prepare actions for critical missions/countries
- Visit the sites, Check up on situations, correct and upgrade the installations
- Provide training to the IS officers or persons in charge of the related equipment
- Act as referent and Radio-telecom focal point for all field IT aspects related to Radio
- Train local field support to use, maintain and manage existing equipment or deploy new one
- Realize clear inventory and propose tools to follow assets
- Troubleshoot the problems, propose and implement solutions
- Plan actions to enhance the quality of the radio support
- Propose an organization to build up a long term Radio Support service
- Propose and implement policies that will be used by field IT officers and IT Field Support Team
- Propose up to date technologies to be our standards
- Propose the best supply chain according MSF supply standards
- Provide briefings to logistician (including Logistic Coordinator) to precisely define the role and importance of the service for the field
- Build documentation and training support for the field IT teams (IT Field Support, IT officers, logisticians)
- Propose and set up follow-up indicators to monitor the radio service
- Propose and implement measures for the continuous improvement of this service
Education & skills
- Degree or proven experience and knowledge on radio technology
- Demonstrated experience and overall knowledge in all radio aspects (infrastructure, networks, mobile devices, unified communications, applications, service delivery, processes…)
- Global IT knowledge (infrastructure, networks, mobile devices, unified communications, applications, service delivery, processes…).
- Fluent in English and French
- Quality and result-oriented
- Autonomous and very well organized
- Highly service-oriented
- Ability to travel extensively to MSF Missions.
- Experience in the field (ideally in MSF environment) as technical specialist
- Experience to support and develop Radio technology in an international environment
- Min 3 years of work in a support position
Terms of Employment
- Fixed-term contract : 18 months
- Start date: ASAP
- Full time position based in Geneva with 60% minimum travels to MSF missions for field visits and trainings (Africa, Asia, etc…)
- Gross annual salary : from CHF 83’220.- (salary commensurate with experience and internal salary grid)
How to apply:
How to apply
Interested candidates should send by email only their cover letter and curriculum vitae (CV 2 p. max. – letter of motivation 1p. max. – English – 5MB max) to firstname.lastname@example.org stating in the subject line “IT Radio Telecom Spec 2017.08”.
The deadline for applications is 20th August 2017.
The applications will be treated confidentially.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
For more details on the job offer or MSF, please visit our website: http://www.msf.ch/travailler-avec-nous/
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT