Organization: World Food Programme
Closing date: 15 Aug 2017
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. We are seeking to fill a Nutritionist Position at the P4 level, based in Sana’a, Yemen.
These jobs are found in Headquarters (HQ), Regional Bureaux (RBs) or Country Offices (COs), and report to the Division/Regional/Country Director or the designate. Job holders at P4 level are likely to be operating in an environment where the complexity of meeting nutritional needs is high. As such P4s are expected to have a greater breadth of knowledge of nutrition and ability to manage a team. Job holders will need a greater level of experience and knowledge to credibly influence at senior levels in more complex situations.
To design and manage large-scale nutrition programmes in complex environments to contribute to meeting the nutritional needs of beneficiaries within the country and/or provide technical advice and guidance on nutrition strategies, programme design and implementation.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Translate WFP policies into nutrition strategies, programme guidance, implementation modalities and operations.
- Ensure that WFP nutrition programmes are consistent with WFP policies, EB decisions and other relevant guidance.
- Provide technical and strategic advice to RBs or COs on WFP nutrition specific and nutrition sensitive programme and policy issues including assessment and analysis, the choice of objectives, activities, transfer modalities and commodity choice for nutrition specific and nutrition sensitive programming in line with WFP standards and processes.
- Provide technical support on national nutrition initiatives, including the development of national government policies related to nutrition (including health, social protection, education policies) as well as nutrition strategies, action plans, protocols and guidelines in line with the SUN Movement and international guidance and current evidence.
- Support design and implementation of national nutrition programmes or manage large-scale WFP nutrition programmes.
- Oversee and/or provide technical support on global/regional/country initiatives and on research and evidence-building in nutrition.
- Work with senior management, procurement, logistics, finance, other programme units and other divisions to ensure effective advocacy, design and delivery of WFP nutrition programming.
- Oversee or advise on operational partnerships, including inter-agency collaboration, to ensure a strong multi-sectorial response to nutrition in both emergency and non-emergency settings.
- Oversee and prepare accurate and timely reporting and learning, contributing to a knowledge base that informs decision making of WFP and other stakeholders.
- Manage teams of nutritionists, providing guidance and coaching as required to ensure appropriate career development and enable high performance.
- Represent WFP at regional, national and international meetings to contribute to technical discussions, exchange experiences, advocate for nutrition interventions and identify areas of potential collaboration.
- Build capacity of WFP staff, partners and national governments to prepare for and respond to nutrition problems.
- Support the monitoring and evaluation of WFP activities, provide technical analysis, and interpretation, and develop new indicators and guidance.
- Take responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives in all areas of work, to ensure equal participation of women and men.
- Contribute to emergency preparedness actions, providing technical recommendations on contingency planning, risk analysis and early warning related to nutrition risks.
- Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet emergency food assistance needs.
- Other as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced University degree in Nutrition, Public Health, Food Technology, Medicine or other related fields.
- At least 8 years (of which 3 are international) of progressively responsible professional experience in nutrition, incl. HIV and TB management, public health management, development of projects, emergency assistance, and/or operational aspects of national, bilateral or multilateral food assistance, with a strong preference for significant experience working in humanitarian and development of nutrition.
- Experience in strategic planning at country level.
- Experience maintaining pipelines, developing systems and approaches for nutrition.
- Experience building strategic partnerships with multiple partners, incl. governments to raise awareness on nutrition related issues.
- Experience presenting nutrition findings/global evidence to governments to build country specific nutrition plans/programmes.
- Experience working in emergencies and development context in multiple countries.
- Experience managing and building multi-functional teams and projects.
- Experience in representing agency at global forums and/or presenting at international/national venues.
- Experience with survey methodologies, nutrition assessment, operation research and relevant data analysis and interpretation.
- Emergency nutrition response experience, preferably with WFP or another UN or International Organisation.
Technical Skills & Knowledge:
- Strong knowledge of nutrition and recent developments in the field.
- Proven capacity to advocate for food-based nutrition interventions and recognised
- technical leadership in the wider nutrition community of academia, UN, governments, and donors.
- Understanding of donor policies, strategies, and programme priorities.
- Knowledge or experience in broader food security programming within development and/or humanitarian contexts, including an understanding of WFP programming and/or the UN system.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and nutrition/public health software (i.e. EPI Info, STATA, SPSS).
- General knowledge of UN system mandates, policies, rules, regulations and procedures governing administration is highly desirable.
- Excellent written and oral communications and presentation skills;
- Ability to build strategic partnerships with WFP partners, NGOs, academia, government officials and other entities with shared interest in nutrition;
- Strong interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to gain the assistance and cooperation of others in a team endeavour through demonstrated technical leadership;
- Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Fluency (level C) in English language.
- Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Experience in strategic planning at country level.
• Experience maintaining pipelines, developing systems and approaches for nutrition.
• Experience in design for nutrition specific and nutrition programs or approaches (direct or with national governments).
• Experience building strategic partnerships with multiple governments to raise awareness on nutrition related issues.
• Experience presenting nutrition findings/global evidence to governments to build country specific nutrition plans/programmes.
• Experience working in emergencies and development context in multiple countries.
• Experience managing multi-functional teams.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year. He/she will be required to travel abroad sometime to remote and difficult locations.
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance. For more details please visit icsc.un.org
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
15 August 2017
How to apply:
Step 1: Register and create your online CV.
Step 2: Click on “View Vacancy” to read the position requirements and “Apply” to submit your application.
NOTE: You must complete Step 1 and 2 in order for your application to be considered for this vacancy.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT