Organization: UN Children’s Fund
Closing date: 16 Oct 2017
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Assignment
1. Life skills education is an important aspect in the educational process of children as it enables them to develop and strengthen behaviours considered socially acceptable while providing them with knowledge and skills they need to face everyday life challenges and to make informed decisions in their lives. The importance of life skills education is highlighted in two of the objectives of the Education for All National Plan, which emphasize that life skills education is a cross-cutting issue and must therefore be an integral part of a learning system that promotes equity and quality at all levels.
2. In Angola, even though the current curriculum encompasses aspects related to life skills, there is no information on the extent to which such subjects are relevant to the Angolan context, on how these subjects are taught and assessed by teachers, or on how students are learning these skills.
3. Due to the absence of a monitoring and assessment system, there is no evidence to demonstrate whether teachers are knowledgeable about the curriculum and whether they are effectively conveying the necessary knowledge and skills to their pupils. Similarly, there is a dearth on the instructional strategies and pedagogical activities used in the classrooms, which makes it difficult to know whether students are learning and practicing these skills. The absence of a systematic assessment procedure also makes it impossible to evaluate the effectiveness of the methodological approaches teachers use to teach life skills and to assess their pupils’ knowledge and skills in this area.
4. In this context, and considering the importance of life skills education as an integral part of any education system that seeks to promote equity and quality for all children, a quick research was conducted in 2015 not only to assess both teachers’ and pupils’ knowledge and skills on issues related to life skills, but also to assess the methodological approaches used to teach these skills.
5. The findings of the research highlighted good practices, gaps and challenges in life skills education , while emphasizing limitations in the areas of knowledge as well as the systematic application of life skills by both teachers and pupils in their everyday life. To address these challenges and limitations, the research recommended the design and implementation of a pilot project about life skills education.
6. The pilot project will focus , among other things, on incorporating life skills topics in the curriculum and on the training of trainers so they can gain knowledge about life skills issues while honing their pedagogical abilities in life skills instruction; these efforts are expected to help improve the quality of life skills education in Angola. The project will also include the development and revision of training materials for pre-primary, primary, and first cycle of secondary school teachers.
This consultancy fits in with the Education Section’s efforts to assist the Ministry of Education improve the quality of learning as it is intended to help build the capacity of teachers so they can provide the pupils under their tutelage with a better learning experience. This activity is included in the section’s current AWP, Output 2, Activity #1.8. A consultant is required for this task because it involves the development and revisions of training manuals as well as the training of national trainers. These are additional functions for which the section does not have the required personnel.
Goal and Objective: Under the supervision of the Chief of Education Section ( or Education Specialist), the consultant will help improve Life skills education in Angola by building the capacity of teacher trainers and by designing tools to monitor and evaluate life skills education in the country.
Provide details/reference to AWP areas covered: This consultancy is part of Output 2; Activity 1.8 and its expected results are intrinsically related to improving the quality of teaching and learning, which is the main focus of this output. In this specific case, the focus will be on improving the quality of life skills education.
Activities and Tasks:
a) Train teacher trainers in life skills instruction.
b) Identify strategies and methodologies required to implement these actions/ activities.
c) Create a system to monitor and assess life skills education.
d) Conduct the monitoring and evaluation of the project
e) Produce the overall report documenting the implementation of this project
Responsibilities of Ministry of Education
a. Elaborate and approve the Terms of Reference.
b. Participate in the selection process of the consultant.
c. Identify and inform the pilot province of their responsibilities and ensure that these responsibilities are fulfilled.
d. Provide the consultant with equipment and work space when he /she is at MED.
e. Ensure that the consultant has access to key documents and facilitate meetings with key informants.
f. Supervise jointly with UNICEF the work of the consultant.
g. Prepare and participate in the meetings of the working group and contribute to the achievement of expected results and deliverables.
h. Provide technical and financial support as per the co-financing agreement with UNICEF.
i. Facilitate the entry visa application process, if an international consultant is selected.
Responsibilities of UNICEF
a. Contribute to the preparation of the Terms of Reference.
b. Lead the selection process of the consultant.
c. Ensure the consultant has access to key documents.
d. Support MED in the supervision of the consultant’s work.
e. Prepare and participate in the meetings of the working group and provide inputs on reports produced by the consultant.
f. Provide technical and financial support as per the co- financing agreement with the Ministry of Education
(Estimated # of days or months)
Schedule of payment
1 -Training of trainers
15 working days
2- Identify strategies and methodologies required to implement these actions/ activities.
January 30, 2018
3-Tools to monitor and assess life skills education and a plan for monitoring and evaluation of this project
3 working days
March 30, 2018*
4- Life skills education project monitoring and final evaluation
10 working days
July 30, 2018*
5- Overall project implementation report (training evaluation report and project monitoring and evaluation report
2 working days
August 30, 2018*
 These dates are tentative pending negotiations with the consultant
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
Excellent communication and training skills
Years of relevant experience
Competencies of Successful Candidate
To view our competency framework, please click here.
Please indicate your ability, availability and daily/monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above (including travel and daily subsistence allowance, if applicable). Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be considered.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
How to apply:
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. To apply, click on the following link http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=507745
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT