Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 23 Oct 2017
Position Title : Database Officer (DTM)
Duty Station : Bujumbura, Burundi
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 23 October 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Belize, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Maldives, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, and direct coordination of the Emergency Coordinator, the successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of the implementation of the DTM databases and application systems for the development of information products.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Develop, implement and administer database information systems to gather and process information required for DTM implementation.
Responsible in developing data collection tools and/or data entry tools.
Support the reporting and analysis of data for donors and other stakeholders. Ensure data consistency and provide statistical information and mapping.
Support in the development of a geographical information system (GIS) system for the production of database-related maps.
Provide user support, guidelines, training materials, and training sessions on the deployment, use, operation, and maintenance of databases and data collection systems to government authorities, programme staff, and implementing partners.
Develop systems to automate data analysis, mapping, and data dissemination processes.
Prepare and develop analytical tools and reports for displacement trends, needs assessments and programme activities using the programme’s various databases.
Develop and implement proper backup, restore, data validation, and security procedures to ensure data integrity and availability.
Recruit, manage and train, as needed, information management assistants and data entry clerks to ensure the quality of data entered into IOM databases.
Support maintenance of and training on all technologies used for database systems.
Visit sub offices and implementing partner field offices to provide technical support to the usage of information and database systems as needed.
Design databases for existing or new programmes and projects.
Contribute to the design, development, and fundraising for new DTM projects.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Database Management, Software Development, Business Administration, Mathematics, Statistics or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in the development and management of database information systems;
• Experience in the development and implementation of ODK or any other mobile data collection tools;
• Working experience with the following tools: Access, ArcGIS, and SQL.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 23 October 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 10.10.2017 to 23.10.2017
Requisition: SVN 2017/178 (P) – Database Officer (DTM) (P2) – Bujumbura, Burundi (55203204) Released Posting: Posting NC55203216 (55203216) Released 0_s1028″
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT