Organization: UN Children’s Fund
Closing date: 27 Oct 2017
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
Under the direct supervision of the Operation Manager undertakes administrative management support services in a country or sub-country office, the incumbent assists in ensuring efficient and cost effective administrative support services, providing guidance to administrative staff as well and supporting staff in office administrative assignments. Ensures the office’s administrative operations and services are in compliance with the organization’s administrative policy, procedures, rules and regulations.
Key Expected Results
- Appropriate and consistent interpretation and application of administrative policy and procedures timely implemented to support operations at the country or sub-country levels.
- The budget preparation and implementation are properly administered in the area of administrative management and services.
- Operations of delivery of administrative support services are timely and effectively and security arrangements are well established for enhanced safety and security.
- Property management of administrative supplies, office equipment, vehicles and other properties is effectively performed.
- All administrative transactions and arrangements of contracts satisfy the requirements as stipulated and are in compliance with the applicable policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Staff capacity is enhanced through active staff learning/development programmes in the area of administrative support and services.
- Effective working relations are maintained with other agencies, local authorities and implementing partners.
- Any other assigned administrative support responsibilities and services are effectively carried out and delivered.
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
1. Appropriate and consistent interpretation and application of administrative policy and procedures timely implemented to support operations at the country or sub-country levels.
- Provides practical input on implementation of administrative guidelines, in close coordination with the head of office, operation staff/ supervisor.
- Supports supervisor and the head of the office, and updates staff on administrative policies, procedures rules and regulation. Implements the appropriate application and interpretation of administrative rules, regulations, policies and procedures. Briefs and assists arriving and departing staff on basic administrative
- procedures and requirements.
- Contributes to recommendations on the improvement of internal controls systems taking into account the prevailing conditions in the locality.
- Keeps supervisor abreast of potential problem areas, prepares reports on administrative matters as required.
- Provides administrative support and services to sub-country (zone) offices and out postings, where applicable, including preparation and funding of service contracts, preparations of PGMs for all admin supplies and guidance on administrative procedures.
2. The budget preparation and implementation are properly administered in the area of administrative management and services.
- Assists supervisor in preparing estimates on office premises, supplies and equipment requirements for budget preparation purposes. Assists zone offices in the establishment and maintenance of administrative services and the administrative budget.
- 1. Operations of delivery of administrative support services are timely and effectively provided, and security arrangements are well established for enhanced safety and security.
- Assists Chief Operations and/or Chief of Field offices in the establishment and maintenance security arrangements and related administrative services.
4. Property management of administrative supplies assistance ensures, office equipment, vehicles and other properties is effectively maintained
- Supports management of administrative supplies, office equipment and vehicles, updating inventory of items, serving as ex-officio member to the Property Survey Board where applicable. Assists supervisor in Property Survey Board submissions, preparing minutes of meetings. Assists supervisor in executing PSB recommendations approved by the Head of Office.
- Monitors and supervises adequate and appropriate use of supplies. Ensures that services and maintenance of premises are in accordance with organizational standards,
5. All administrative transactions and arrangements of contracts satisfy the requirements as stipulated and are in compliance with the applicable policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Ensures that all administrative transactions and arrangements of contracts are in compliance with the applicable policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Contributes to the reviews of contractual arrangements related to administrative support (i.e. courier, premises maintenance, ancillary administrative support, vehicle maintenance, equipment maintenance etc.) to ensure that the terms and conditions of all contracts are being adhered to by providers of goods and services. Proposes to supervisor any changes that may be required.
- Monitors payments against contractual obligations.
6. Staff learning and development
- Develops training activities to ensure effective performance and efficiency in admin services management. Implements effective staff learning and development programme activities for capacity building. Contributes to workshops for staff’s competency building, staff learning and development, career development.
7. Partnership, coordination and collaboration
- Support effective working relations with other agencies, local authorities and implementing partners on issues relating to administrative matters through information exchange, collaboration, and harmonization. Cooperates with other UN agency counterparts in the UN reform initiatives (including common services and premises agenda, etc.).
8. Performs any other duties and responsibilities assigned as required.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Completion of Secondary School, University level courses in administration, finance, or any other related field of discipline relevant to the job is an asset.
- 7 years of relevant professional work experience with both national and International work experience in office management, administration, finance, accounting, ICT, human resources, supply or any other relevant function.
- Work experience in emergency duty station.
- Fluency in English and another UN language.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Working with People
- Drive for Results
- Applying Technical Expertise
- Planning and Organizing
- Following Instructions and Procedures
Common Technical Knowledge Required
- Principles of office management, operations management, programme management and administration IT Skills and working knowledge of UNICEF SAP/HR, WEB HRIS, MICROSOFT – Excel, PowerPoint and Word software.
- Administrative service management’s goals, visions, positions, policies, and strategies
- Supply operations, logistics and purchasing administration
- Rights-based and Results-based management
- UNICEF emergency programme policies, goals, strategies, approaches and procedures
Specific Technical Knowledge Required
- UNICEF administrative service management’s policies, procedures and guidelines in the manual as relevant, in the context of the country situations and conditions of work.
- UNICEF Mid-Term Strategic Plan (MTSP) as it relates to administrative service management in the context of the country situations and conditions of service.
Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced
- UN policies and strategy to address issues in harmonization of administrative service management and operations in the common system..
- UNICEF positions about UN common approaches to administrative service management and operations issues.
- UN security guidelines.
- Government regulations and laws in the locality pertinent to administrative service
To view our competency framework, please click here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
How to apply:
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. To apply, click on the following link http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=507849
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT