Organization: Westminster Foundation for Democracy
Closing date: 18 Oct 2017
Based in Amman, Jordan
International consultancy contract
24 months over 4 years (2017-21)
International consultancy fee will be agreed
The Westminster Foundation for Democracy (WFD) is an independent foundation sponsored by the UK Foreign and Commonwealth (FCO) and Department for International Development (DFID). WFD specialises in parliamentary strengthening and political party development, while also supporting electoral processes and civil society strengthening. It does this by assisting in the development of parliaments, political parties and civil society organisations. It is uniquely placed to draw directly on the expertise of the Westminster political parties, members of parliament (MPs) and devolved assemblies, and British civil society and technical experts in all its work.
WFD has worked in Jordan since 2011, initially delivering a three-year programme resulting in the establishment of a Research Centre for the House of Representatives. WFD extended this programme in 2014 to reinforce the Centre and help ensure its sustainability, while also providing specialised support to women MPs. As part of the consortium delivering the Enhanced Support to Democratic Governance in Jordan Project, WFD leads the component relating to the Jordanian House of Representatives.
The EU funded project “Enhanced Support to Democratic Governance in Jordan” will be implemented by a Consortium of European Not for Profit Organisations lead by the European Centre for Electoral Support (www.eces.eu)). The other consortium members are: European Partnership for Democracy (EPD www.epd.eu), Westminster Foundation for Democracy (WFD www.wfd.org), Netherlands Institute for Multiparty Democracy (NIMD www.nimd.org) and French Agency for Media Cooperation (CFI www.cfi.fr/en)).
The specific objectives of this project are to:
• Strengthen the functioning of the House of Representatives (HoR) in exercising its core parliamentary functions in a professional, accountable and transparent manner,
• Enhance the functioning of the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) and other key stakeholders, contributing to elections conducted in a professional, transparent and credible manner,
• Support the political party system (PP) in contributing to democratic governance and policy making in particular in the HoR.
Main Purpose of the Role
The assignment, in particular, supports the delivery of programme output 1.1: Capacities of the HoR’s Secretariat and human resources are enhanced; and 1.2: Legislative and oversight function, committee system and HoR’s research capacities are enhanced.
The specific objective of the assignment is to introduce, embed and in the most effective way possible pass on skills, knowledge, experience and good practice in order to enable the House of Representatives to deliver on its objectives.
In particular, the following areas will be important for the assignment:
• Support the Legislative Studies and Research Centre in its efforts to enhancing its capacities to provide information through briefings and topical seminars for MPs
• Advice to the House on the use of ICT to improve information management and sharing, including for the use in research and in the work of the House
• Support the introduction of electronic and online library and research services
• Advice and support to strengthen the capability of the library and enhance archiving of information and outputs
• Provide opportunities for training and coaching parliamentary researchers, upon request, on the production of high quality briefings and papers that respond to MPs and committees requirements.
• Offer advice to the LSRC on its communication and outreach plan
• Support the development of relationships with other Libraries and Research Centres in other Parliaments
• Advice on establishing an electronic mechanism for tracking legislative and the publication of laws and related documents, including a mechanism to publish information on the website of the House
• Support to provide seminars on topical policy issues for MPs
• Organise and develop agenda’s for Committee staff trainings to strengthen their ability to support the legislative process
• Support with research and comparative experiences on the role of Committees, MPs, Parliamentary blocs in the legislative process
It is important to highlight that the areas of work are likely to evolve in response to changing requirements over the full period of the assignment and the expert should be prepared to respond to this
The successful candidate will have the following skills and experience:
• Deep understanding of parliamentary practice and procedure, from a global and regional perspective, an interest in parliamentary strengthening and an appreciation of the values and objectives of the project.
• Significant experience in a leadership role within a Parliament, focused on parliamentary research and the legislative process
• Track record of developing and publishing articles, manuals, guides, policy document and research papers in relevant field.
• Excellent inter-personal and communication skills, with experience as a trainer and facilitator, and in coaching.
• Strong written English suitable for drafting and editing material and writing proposals. Any knowledge of Arabic language (spoken or written) is a significant asset.
• IT skills (eg Microsoft Office applications, social media) to enable preparation of good quality materials and capacity building of local partners
• Knowledge of programme management methodologies (including monitoring and evaluation tools like logframes)
• Understanding of development, political, governmental, and parliamentary context in Jordan and MENA region
• PhD, JD, or MA in a related field (Law, Political Science, Public Administration, etc.) highly recommended
How to apply:
HOW TO APPLY:
For full details of the role criteria and instructions for how to apply for this position, please visit WFD website at:
If interested in this role send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com by 23:59 (GMT) 18th October 2017 to be considered for this role. Please briefly state in your cover letter your motivation for applying for the role and the relevant skills and experience you would bring to this post.
The appointment will be made on merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
Please note this statement is for information only and does not form part of a contract.
Please note: Due to the volume of application we receive, only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS ARI