Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 18 Oct 2017
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title: Strategic Communications and Media Consultant
Vacancy Notice: CFA/IOMSO/107/2017
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Classification: National Officer, UG (Third Party Contractor)
Type of Appointment: Short term, Four (4) Months
Organizational Unit: Somalia Stabilization Unit
Direct Supervision: Chief of Party – SSI Program
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 18th October 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. Internal candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy.
The Strategic Communication and Media Consultant will be responsible for contributing to the formulation and implementation of the program’s strategic communications plan, working closely with the various SSI program teams and USAID/OTI to coordinate and plan both stand-alone activities and those integrated into broader program activities.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Develop, implement and monitor SSI strategic communication plan to meet program objectives, increase partner/government/community information about stabilization activities, and promote the transparency of SSI activities;
Establish Strategic Communications training programs for IOM-SSI staff, Somali Government officials, local government and other partners, including methodologies of trust-building in media, event planning, among others;
Support the design, implementation, and coordination of all strategic communication, public outreach, and media grants;
Provide technical oversight for the programmatic implementation and monitoring of strategic communication and media activities in coordination with service providers, program staff, STTAs and in coordination with SSI Grants & Procurement team;
Provide input to grant and procurement award processes to ensure that activity deliverables are achieved, including drafting scopes of work for service providers and implementing partners, evaluating and approving technical deliverables and setting deadlines to ensure on-time delivery of project outputs;
Provide technical advice and support field staff in planning and developing relevant information and communications products;
Proactively identify media opportunities and, in close liaison with SSI partners, plan and monitor media events including press releases and press conferences;
Support the Reporting Unit in the preparation and review weekly, quarterly and annual reports in collaboration with the M&E teams;
Undertake duty travel to Mogadishu and elsewhere as required, to support implementation of communication activities and to identify where adaptations might be needed;
Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the SSI Chief of Party.
1. Key deliverables to be performed under this contract:
a.) Management and monitoring of the SSI/Dalbile media and communication strategy and work plan, including but not limited to :
- Ensure identified strategies are still valid and monitor progress against the work plan- making changes/additions where necessary and guiding Senior Management Team (SMT) and staff on next steps;
- Update Senior Management Team (SMT) and field staff on media context and players in Somalia, identifying new opportunities with media where possible;
- Regularly updating the media maps and list of media operators in Somalia – working closely with OTI graphic team in Washington.
b.) Support all SSI/Dalbile strategic communication/media/ outreach components at the activity level through :
- Review of all cleared grants ensuring planned messaging, target audience(s), and appropriate channels are identified and outlined in implementation plan;
- Review of branding and marking plans to ensure they are appropriate and in line with grant objectives and program regulations;
- Sharing any messages developed with OTI for nonpartisan review (NPR) during grant implementation;
- Provide technical advice and support field staff in planning and developing relevant information and communications products.
c.) Coordinate the implementation of Stand Alone Strategic Communication and Media Grants, including but not limited to:
- In collaboration with field staff, Senior Management Team, and relevant stakeholders, develop new media and strategic communication activity ideas in line with the SSI/Dalbile Media and Communication strategy and workplan;
- Coordinate and support activity development through submission to OTI, including developing background narrative, M&E plan, and budget in the Web Based Database (WBDB);
- Provide technical oversight for the programmatic implementation in coordination with service providers, program staff, STTAs and in coordination with SSI Grants & Procurement team;
- Provide input to grant and procurement award processes to ensure that activity deliverables are achieved, including drafting scopes of work for service providers and implementing partners, evaluating and approving technical deliverables and setting deadlines to ensure on-time delivery of project outputs;
- Support project close out ensuring all reporting and M&E documentation is submitted.
d.) Capacity Building, Sharing Project Experiences, Lessons, and Reporting,
- Develop quarterly analysis reports of communication components and mentor and guide field staff on the same to better understand successes, gap, and areas for improvement;
- Support the Reporting Unit in the preparation and review weekly, quarterly and annual reports when needed.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Journalism, Political Science, International Affairs or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in Media & communications;
- Experience in preparing clear and concise reports;
- Minimum of one year experience on USAID Stabilization Program will be a distinct advantage;
- Good level of computer literacy.
Fluency in English and Somali is required.
- This position will require frequent travel to Somalia if and when the situation is conducive;
- The position is open to Nationals and Residents of Kenya with a valid work permit;
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this Call for Application Notice is subject to funding confirmation. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and residing in Kenya as a Kenyan National will be considered.
How to apply:
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Call for Applications Number (CFA No) with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: email@example.com
Closing Date: 18 October 2017, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Posting period: 12.10.2017 TO 18.10.2017.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT