Organization: International Organization for Migration
Country: Papua New Guinea
Closing date: 25 Oct 2017
Position Title : Emergency and Disaster Management (EDM) Officer
Duty Station : Port Moresby, Pap. New Guinea
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 25 October 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Belize, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Maldives, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
IOM has been operating in Papua New Guinea (PNG) since 2001, working on complex emergencies, providing humanitarian relief, and building capacity of the Government. With generous support from the Governments of Australia, the US and the EU, and in close partnership with Government partners, the UN country team and civil society, IOM is reaching displaced populations in remote communities, assisting stranded migrants, and safeguarding the rights of vulnerable groups. Operating through its Head office in Port Moresby and numerous satellite offices in the provinces, IOM’s programmes focus on disaster management, emergency preparedness and response, counter-trafficking in persons, assisted voluntary return, migration and border management, and integration.
Under the overall guidance of the Chief of Mission (COM) in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea and under direct supervision of the EDM Coordinator, the successful candidate will provide day to day Disaster Risk Reduction and Emergency programmatic support services to the EDM programme in PNG, with high quality, accuracy and consistency of work.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide guidance and technical inputs for the day-to-day implementation of IOM’s EDM activities in PNG.
Support project development of the EDM programmes.
Review the current methodology of the Community Based Projects/Community Based Disaster Risk Management approach that IOM is implementing in target communities, identifying weaknesses and develop solutions.
Provide training and capacity building modules for IOM DRR field office staff.
Contribute to the development of new EDM-related programmes/projects in cooperation with Country Offices and/or targeting countries without representation, monitor compliance with identified needs and IOM’s strategies, thematic guidelines and project development procedures, and recommend improvements.
Developing and conducting EDM-related training workshops and provide technical input when necessary through research and training.
In coordination with the EDM Coordinator lease with partner stakeholders operating in the area of DRR/DRM including representatives of central, provincial and local government, humanitarian and development agencies, UN and NGOs.
Monitoring EDM-related issues and developments in the region and contributing to the development of thematic reports and procedures.
Encourage mainstreaming of gender in Disaster Risk Management Strategies assimilation exercises.
Contribute to data collection and analysis; conduct research on relevant assigned topics; draft and/or contribute to information sheets, presentations, training curricula and materials and thematic guidance notes on EDM, DRR and other relevant topics as well as providing technical inputs for various DRR raising awareness events.
Train government staff and environmental trackers on EWS and Mass Evacuation in Natural Disaster procedures.
In coordination with the EDM Coordinator draft and review reports/presentations for the Disaster Management Team, Shelter/NFIs Cluster, IOM, UN, donors and other partners.
Travel to Field Offices to monitor/evaluate programme implementation, conduct activity reviews, quality control, and impact assessments.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Development Studies, Social Sciences or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• In-depth knowledge of development issues. Experience in DRR/DRM programming and
Disaster Management, Hydrology, Environment Studies an advantage;
• Ability to advocate and lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
• Experience designing capacity building events and facilitating training sessions for a variety of audiences;
• Proficient in using, Statistical Package for Social Science, MapInfo, geographical information system (GIS) software for various mapping purposes;
• Experience of working in a multi-cultural setting;
• Advanced English writing, communication and negotiation skills.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of other IOM official language(s) is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 25 October 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 12.10.2017 to 25.10.2017
Requisition: VN 2017/223 (P) –
Emergency&DisasterManagementOfc(P2)-PortMoresby,PapuaNewGuinea (55205504) Released
Posting: Posting NC55205516 (55205516) Released
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT