Organization: UN High Commissioner for Refugees
Closing date: 31 Oct 2017
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is mandated to lead and coordinate international action to protect refugees and resolve refugee problems worldwide. Its primary purpose is to safeguard the rights and well-being of refugees. It strives to ensure that everyone can exercise the right to seek asylum and find safe refuge in another State.
While UNHCR’s primary purpose is to safeguard the rights and well-being of refugees, our ultimate goal is to help find durable solutions that will allow them to rebuild their lives in dignity. There are three durable solutions pursued by UNHCR for 6.4 million refugees in protracted situations: voluntary repatriation; local integration; or resettlement to a third country. While pursuing durable solutions, UNHCR works to increase the self-reliance and livelihood opportunities of refugees.
UNHCR launched the Global Strategy for Livelihoods 2014-2018 in an effort to inform field operations on how to implement livelihoods programmes and to guide the development of national and local livelihoods strategies. UNHCR issued the Minimum Criteria for Livelihoods Programming in February 2015 to promote market-based and data-driven programming.
UNHCR Livelihoods Unit in Headquarters is providing technical support to field operations to promote and replicate good practices. This entails designing programmes, networking and knowledge sharing between UNHCR operations. The Livelihoods Unit is now looking for an intern to support this work.
Responsibilities will include:
· Supporting the Livelihoods Unit with recruitments through managing the livelihoods roster, conducting written tests, and shortlisting candidates for specific assignments on request from country operations;
· Providing support to country operations, including through managing the livelihoods unit email;
· Contributing to building the institutional memory and coordination of the Livelihoods Unit through managing the livelihoods folder on e-SAFE and dropbox, writing up minutes from relevant meetings, following up on important action points to ensure their completion, and tracking engagement with important NGO, private sector, humanitarian and development partners;
· Managing “Coursera For Refugees” to provide access to certified, online training for UNHCR’s persons of concern;
· Conducting research on initiatives, studies, articles, events, etc. related to refugees and employment and synthesize materials for their use within the Livelihoods Unit and sharing with the global livelihoods network;
· Assisting in the various day-to-day tasks.
The intern will:
· Get a practical understanding of livelihoods programing for protection and solutions for UNHCR’s population of concern;
· Become familiar with the Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework (CRRF) and the Minimum Criteria for Livelihoods Programming and learn about the processes involved in institutional change in a humanitarian organization towards market-driven and results-oriented programming;
· Gain experience with providing support to country operations within livelihoods, including gaining understanding of recruitment procedures for livelihoods consultants and technical needs of colleagues in the field;
· Be exposed to different livelihoods partner organizations;
· Acquire knowledge and skills related to project management.
· Recently graduated or pursuing a relevant advanced university degree (e.g. social science, economics, political science, development);
· Excellent analytical skills;
· Demonstrated experience with project management;
· Pro-active and excellent interpersonal and communication skills for a multi-cultural environment;
· Interest and preferably some experience working with humanitarian and/or development actors;
· Interest and preferably some knowledge of/experience with working in the area of livelihoods;
· Excellent written and spoken English required, knowledge of another UN language an asset;
· Computer literacy (Word, Excel, Power Point) and willingness to learn additional programmes (at UNHCR) if necessary.
Full time for 6 months, starting from January 3rd 2018. The intern will be placed at UNHCR Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland. 4
How to apply:
How to apply:
Please send an email with CV and a cover letter to: email@example.com
Deadline for applications: October 31st 2017
This is an unpaid position. Unfortunately, UNHCR is unable to provide accommodation, travel, or health insurance for interns. Due to the large volume of applications individual responses to applications will not be possible. .
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT