Organization: UN Children’s Fund
Country: United States of America
Closing date: 25 Oct 2017
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
For every child, dedication.
The purpose of the position is to provide professional leadership in UNICEF’s contribution towards achieving the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). This is the Organization’s key position for knowledge and exchange, developing and maintaining advocacy links with governments and all major development agencies, academic institutions and NGOs active in this field. The Associate Director will lead and manage a New York based team to provide strategic leadership and technical oversight to all UNICEF’s partnerships and programming in this area working with regional and country offices.
How can you make a difference?
UNICEF considers this position to be among the top positions on which the achievement of the long-term results of the organization in the area of WASH depends. As head of Section, lead and manage a team of professional and support staff to provide high quality technical support to UNICEF’s programme delivery in WASH across over 100 countries, through the efforts of over 600 professional staff. Oversee UNICEF’s role in providing leadership to the WASH sector and key global partnerships such as the IASC WASH Cluster, the Sanitation and Water for All partnership and the WHO/UNICEF Joint Monitoring Programme.
Major Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Provide global technical leadership on WASH policy, strategy and programming; and shape emerging agendas to deliver results for children
- Provide strategic direction to UNICEF’s WASH programmes, and ensure they are based on sound evidence and have the necessary technical, financial and human resources to deliver results for children
- Support UNICEF’s work on preparing and responding to emergencies with technical assistance, guidance, tools and systems.
To qualify as a champion for every child you will have…
- Advanced University Degree in any of the following fields: Public Health/ Chemical/ Environmental/ Civil, Mechanical Engineering, Geology/Hydrogeology/Hydrology, Social Sciences, Economics, Management, Water Management, Sanitation, Rural/Urban Development.
- At least thirteen years of relevant professional work experience in water supply, sanitation, environment, water resource management and public health areas, especially in developing countries.
- Policy development, analysis, implementation, programme development and implementation; expertise in preparation of national plans either at government or on behalf of the government.
- Experience in academic research, international networking, conferences; water management program in broader perspective and on integrated rural/urban development and macroeconomic issues will be an asset.
- Professional reputation in the field and the sector is essential.
- Experience in responding to emergencies is desirable. Proven record in interaction with donor community and fundraising is a desirable asset.
- Fluency in Englishis required. Fluency in French is preferred. Knowledge of another UNlanguage (especially Spanish)is an asset.
- Excellent Managerial and leadership skills
- Strong networking and relationship building
- Experience in interaction with donor community and fundraising is a strong asset
- Ability to work with diverse teams and stakeholders to deliver results
- Ability to communicate complex ideas and concepts to diverse audiences
For every child, you demonstrate…
- Diversity and inclusion
- Delivers Results
- Engages and Nurtures
- Demonstrates Self-Awareness
- Manages Complexity and Change
- Creates and Maintains Impact and Partnership
- Innovates and Takes Risks
This position is classified as “rotational” which means the incumbent is expected to rotate to another duty station upon completion of their tour of duty.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
How to apply:
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. To apply, click on the following link http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=507714
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT