Organization: UN Children’s Fund
Country: Dominican Republic
Closing date: 01 Jan 2018
Post Title: Communication for Development OfficerProposed Level: NO-BDuty Station: Santo Domingo, Dominican RepublicSupervisor:**Deputy Representative**
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
For every child, a Champion
The Officer provides technical and operational support to all programmes and internal colleagues by administering, implementing, monitoring and/or evaluating a variety of Communication for DevelopmentC4D initiatives and activities to promote community engagement and participation, and measurable behavioral and social change/mobilization, requiring the application of technical and theoretical skills and thorough knowledge of organizational goals, rules, regulations, policies and procedures to complete tasks.
How can you make a difference?
The efficient and effective technical support provided to the development and implementation of strategic advocacy and planning & formulation of social policy programs/projects and the achievement of sustainable results, contributes to achievement of goals and objectives to create a protective environment for children and thus ensure their survival, development and wellbeing in society. Achievements in social policy programs and projects in turn contribute to maintaining/enhancing the credibility and ability of UNICEF to provide program services for mothers and children that promotes greater social equality in the country.
We are looking for a Communication for DevelopmentOfficer whose expertise is behavioural change, to support UNICEF’s Dominican Republic office in the following areas:**
- Support to strategy design and development of C4D activities
- Support to implementation of C4D activities
- Advocacy, networking and partnership building
- Knowledge management and capacity building
Support to strategy design and development of C4D activities
- Research and/or participate in conducting comprehensive C4D situation analysis of social, communication, cultural, economic and political issues in the country/region. Collect and synthesize qualitative and quantitative information and data to support the establishment of comprehensive and evidence-based information for developing and planning the C4D component of the Country Program of Cooperation (and UNDAF).
- Collect, synthesize, draft and/or organize materials and related documentations for evidence-based C4D strategies and plans (as a component of the CO and/or UNDAF Programs) to ensure optimum impact, scale and sustainability of achievements/results.
- Assess, select and/or recommend appropriate information and materials for C4D initiatives verifying accuracy and quality for dissemination.
- Monitor and assess the impact of C4D strategies and activities on the CO and UNICEF goals to achieve measurable behavioral and social change resulting in the improvement of children’s rights and wellbeing. Submit qualitative report/synthesis of results for development planning and improvement.
Support to the implementation of C4D activities
- Collaborate and/or consult with internal and external partners to provide operational and technical support to research, develop, and produce evidence-based strategies and test, produce and use quality C4D materials and/or organize events and activities to ensure community engagement and participation, and maximum outreach and impact on behavioral and social change.
- Provide technical, administrative and logistical support and background materials to carry out C4D strategies and activities and recommend operational strategies, approaches, plans, methods and procedures to ensure community engagement and participation, and optimum outreach and impact.
- Assess and recommend potential contacts, networks, resources and multiple/social/digital media and tools to support maximum impact and outreach of C4D initiatives.
- Follow up and monitor the production of C4D materials to ensure technical quality, consistency and relevancy of communications materials that are developed, produced and disseminated to target audience (e.g. individuals, communities, government officials, partners, media etc).
Advocacy, networking and partnership building
- Build and maintain partnerships through networking and proactive collaboration with national and international civil society organizations, community groups, leaders and other critical partners in the community and civil society to reinforce cooperation through engagement, empowerment and self-determination and to pursue opportunities for greater advocacy to promote UNICEF mission and goals for child rights, social equity and inclusiveness.
- Collaborate with internal global/regional communication partners to harmonize, link and/or coordinate messaging to enhance C4D outreach and contribution to programmatic outcomes
Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Institutionalize/share best practices and knowledge learned/products with global/local partners and stakeholders to build capacity of practitioners/users, and disseminate products to key audiences including partners and donors.
- Support the organization, administration and implement capacity building initiatives, including partnerships with training and academic institutions, to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders/partners across programme sectors in C4D planning, implementation and evaluation in support of programs/projects. Develop training materials for training activities, and revise and update them as necessary.
For every Child, you demonstrate:**
- Diversity and inclusion
- Communication (II)
- Working with people (I)
- Drive for results (I)
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts (I)
- Relating and Networking(I)
- Persuading and influencing (I)
- Applying Technical Expertise (I)
- Planning and Organizing (II)
- Learning and researching(II)
To qualify as a champion for every child you will have:
A university degree in social and behavioural science, sociology, anthropology, psychology, education, communication, or other related social science field is required
Degrees and courses in anthropology, social development, community development, behavioral change and coaching are desirable.
A minimum of 3 years of professional duties in areas of social development programmes or related areas in organizations working in the Dominican Republic.
Experience in community work with children and families and behavioural change is desirable.
Experience working with KAP surveys is an asset.
Work experience in an international organization or UN agency is desirable.
- Fluency in Spanish and English is required.
*Post subject to the creation of a replacement post.
Candidates must be a citizen of Dominican Republicto be considered eligible for this post. Please note that the National Officers(NOs) are locally recruited staff and therefore, candidates are personally responsible for any travel and accommodation arrangements.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
How to apply:
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. To apply, click on the following link http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=509090
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT