Organization: United Nations University
Closing date: 18 Dec 2017
Organizational Unit: UNU Institute for Environment and Human Security (UNU-EHS)
United Nations University objectives
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars engaged in research, postgraduate teaching and capacity development, and dissemination of knowledge in furtherance of the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States.
UNU Vice-Rectorate in Europe (UNU-ViE)
UNU-ViE concentrates on relationships between advancing science and technology for human security. In addition to its scientific core mandate, it administers the central units providing service to three UNU entities in Bonn (www.vie.unu.edu/). The central administration units include Finance, Human Resources, Information Communication Technology, Communication Services, and Procurement and General Administration. These units also assist with the administration of new UNU initiatives in Europe and Africa. For more information on the organization, please visit www.vie.unu.edu.
UNU Institute for Environment and Human Security (UNU-EHS)
UNU-EHS, established in December 2003, is part of the UNU system, a worldwide network of research and training institutes. Its mission is to advance human security through knowledge-based approaches to reducing vulnerability and environmental risks. For more information, please visit www.ehs.unu.edu.
The Education unit manages all processes related to a small, compact portfolio of educational products that are offered by UNU-EHS in collaboration with faculties of the University of Bonn as well as with a variety of international partner organisations and networks. UNU-EHS research is translated into educational products including a master of science programme, seminars, and workshops. Professionals from the research sections are actively participating in the educational activities. The Education Unit is also in charge of collaboration and support of networking activities with academic institutions from a German federal to an international level, with a specific educational focus on postgraduate education for the developing world. UNU-EHS research and teaching expertise is in the areas of disaster management, risk reduction, adaptation to climate change, environmental migration, environmental impacts, social and economic vulnerability and security considerations, as well as sustainable resource use.
The Education unit is managing the joint MSc programme on Geography of Environmental Risks and Human Security as an international degree programme with a research-oriented profile. Our partner, the Department of Geography of the University of Bonn, has a rich history that spans 130 years of teaching and research. It is the largest and one of the most distinguished geography departments in Germany, and has fourteen independent research units that encompass a wide variety of geographical topics.
The two-year programme educates students in an interdisciplinary and trans-disciplinary manner on how to investigate and manage various resources related to environmental hazards by implementing science-based principles and methodologies to disaster risk management. It offers an in-depth introduction into both problem-oriented research methods, theory, and concepts as well as real life challenges and problems that the UN and other international organisations are dealing with, deriving from research areas such as vulnerability assessment, resilience analysis, risk management and adaptation strategies within linked human–environment systems, global climate change, and land desertification as well as environmentally induced internal displacement and transboundary migration.
Under the overall authority of the Director UNU-EHS, the appointee shall be entrusted with the following tasks:
- Manage the planning, organization, administration and implementation of the Joint M.Sc. Programme Geography of Environmental Risks and Human Security in close communication with Joint Academic Board and the administrations of the University of Bonn (Department of Geography, International Office, Studentensekretariat, Studierendenwerk) as well as the related teaching staff of both institutions.
- In collaboration with the Examination Office of the Department of Geography manage the examination processes for the Joint Master.
- Supported by the UNU-EHS Communication Unit manage the marketing of the UNU-EHS educational and capacity building programmes and activities. Advise potential candidates for the Master programme on curriculum and requirements. Liaise and network with federal and international institutions of research and development cooperation.
- Manage and coordinate the yearly application and selection processes, for the Master programme and the DAAD funded Epos Scholarships programme.
- Advise students in their internship and career related research, on extra-curricular activities related to the field of studies, and on issues related to living and studying in Bonn. Be available to develop and run (on demand) internship info sessions and career related workshops.
- Supported by the Finance Department manage provisions and spending of the Education Unit Budget. Coordinate the management of the Epos budget for Tutorials and scholars’ support with the Department of Geography of the Uni Bonn. Draft and provide yearly Epos reports to the German Academic Exchange (DAAD).
- Prepare and facilitate meetings of the UNU Academic Board and the Joint Academic Board. Manage quality insurance processes, ensure the course and events’ evaluation for the Master including its reporting. Ensure the reporting and representation of UNU-EHS Educational activities during the Management Meeting, to the UNU Advisory Board and in communication with the Office of the Rector.
- Contribute to the organization and facilitation of other educational events of the institute, i.e. semester and block courses, seminars, workshops, including the development of curricula and syllabi. Support especially new UNU lecturers with communication on accessing info on their required input for the Course planning and Examination processes. Ensure timely delivery of grades and course evaluations.
- Manage UNU-EHS´ alumni network, e.g., co-organize alumni events, maintain alumni database.
- Contribute to fund-raising activities for the Institute, with a specific focus on improving the educational experience and employability of the Joint Master students.
- Training and supervision of an Education Programme Assistant and student assistants.
- Any other tasks and duties as may be assigned or required by the Director of UNU-EHS.
Required qualifications and experience
- graduate degree (or equivalent) in Natural Sciences, Education, Social Sciences or other relevant field
- minimum of six (6) years of professional experience in International Higher Education and/or research and academia
- proven skills in organising conferences and educational events within the international context
- experience in programme marketing, application management, examination office processes, file keeping, and reporting
- fluency in oral and written English; German language will be considered a strong asset
- outstanding presentation, writing, and reporting skills
- flexible, able to work under pressure and complete tasks within given timeframe
- results-oriented and self-motivated, with the ability to prioritise work and multitask
- proven interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to work well in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
Desirable experience and competencies
- experience in programme facilitation and organisation as well as the preparation and running of thematic workshops
- experience in the support and counseling of postgraduate students, particularly within the international context
- interest in thematic areas such as vulnerability assessment, resilience analysis, risk management and adaptation strategies within linked human-environment systems, disaster risk reduction or humanitarian aid
- contacts and experience with international scholars, actors and associations of the Higher Education community in Germany, Europe, and worldwide
- ability to communicate clearly and efficiently with stakeholders
Applications from suitably qualified women candidates are particularly encouraged.
We offer a competitive net salary (tax-exempted) at GS-6 level of the General Service salary scale (for Bonn, Germany) of the United Nations Common System, plus benefits. For more information, please visit http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salaries/germany.htm.
Duration of contract
This is full-time employment. Initial appointment will be on a fixed-term appointment of one (1) year, with the possibility of renewal on a rolling fixed-term appointment basis, subject to satisfactory work performance. The mandatory age of retirement for new United Nations staff is 65 years.
This is a locally recruited post; no relocation allowances apply. The Rector reserves the right to appoint suitable candidates at a lower job level than that is advertised. UNU is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture.
Staff members of the United Nations University are international civil servants subject to the authority of the Rector and may be assigned to any of the activities or offices of the University. Rector reserves the right to appoint the candidate to a level below that which is advertised.
The United Nations University is a non-smoking environment.
As soon as possible
How to apply:
Interested applicants should submit their applications by e-mail (to email@example.com), and must include the following:
- a cover letter setting out how your qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position
- a curriculum vitae and a completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) form; please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organisations
- an indication of the reference number of the vacancy announcement (2017/UNU/EHS/FTA/EPA/104)
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT