Organization: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
Country: occupied Palestinian territory
Closing date: 03 Dec 2017
Type of contract: National Project Personnel
Duration: 12 months, renewable
General Description of task(s) and objectives to be achieved
FAO’s Coordination Office for the West Bank and Gaza Strip (WBGS) Programme assists the Palestinian Government to formulate and implement policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Office, the direct supervision of the Field Operations Coordinator, and the technical guidance of the Head of Programme, and in close collaboration with other relevant personnel in the WBGS, the Agronomy and Marketing Expert will contribute to identify, formulate and implement humanitarian and development activities within his/her field of expertise.
The incumbent will devote 50% of working time to perform the duties and tasks indicated below specifically in support of project GCP/GAZ/014/MUL.
The incumbent will perform the following duties and tasks:
· Assists in preparing and keeping up-to-date the detailed workplans for activities in the Gaza Strip, and follow up on their implementation;
· Assists in the identification and selection of local partners to be involved in project implementation;
· Interacts with Gaza-based staff of implementing partners and follow up to ensure that all related activities in the Gaza Strip are timely and properly coordinated and implemented;
· Assists in the design and implementation of outreach and beneficiary mobilization activities targeting agribusinesses, cooperatives, farmers and fishers in the Gaza Strip;
· Contributes to preparing technical specifications for the goods, items and services to be procured for Gaza-based activities; gathering data from local suppliers, service providers and contractors in relation to the availability, quality and costs of goods and services in the local market; and to evaluating the capacity of (ex-ante) and quality of work (ex-post) of related suppliers and contractors;
· Liaises with technical staff of relevant governmental and non-governmental institutions to ensure that field activities are consistent with and complementary to other ongoing agricultural projects;
· Contributes to data collection, information gathering, and elaboration of progress reports and other documents in a timely manner;
· Contributes technical inputs to the identification and formulation of new interventions based on needs assessments;
· Supports field missions to Gaza by FAO staff, donors and other stakeholders as required;
· Performs other duties as required.
key performance indicators
Required Completion Date:
Gaza-based activities of the projects the incumbent is engaged in are implemented in a timely and quality manner as established in the related workplans.
Throughout the assignment
Candidates will be assessed against the following
· University degree in agriculture, agricultural economics or closely related fields;
· At least four years of experience in implementing development and humanitarian projects, community and beneficiary mobilization, and liaising with project stakeholders in the field of agriculture, livestock and fisheries;
· Arabic mother tongue and working knowledge of English;
· Experience in drafting technical specifications for the procurement of goods and services, and evaluating supplier performance;
· Experience in documenting and reporting on project activities;
· Computer/word processing and standard office software skills;
· Previous UN system experience is a strong advantage.
FAO Core Competencies
• Demonstrates commitment to FAO’s mission, vision and values;
• Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
• Results focused;
• Building effective relationships;
• Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement.
a) Knowledge Management and Learning
· Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office;
· Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice, areas, and acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
b) Operational Effectiveness
· Ability to apply conceptual models in support of formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of projects;
· Strong IT skills.
c) Management and Leadership
· Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
· Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
· Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;
· Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
· Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
d) Communication Competencies
· Effectively communicates relevant project information to superiors;
· Delivers engaging, informative and well-organized presentations;
· Demonstrated ability to work in a team, and interpersonal skills.
How to apply:
HOW TO APPLY
To apply: Fill out a Personal History Form (PHF) available at http://www.fao.org/fileadmin/user_upload/Employment/ADM11E.DOT
Send your application by e-mail to: email@example.com
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted. Qualified female applicants are encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT