Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 29 Nov 2017
Position Title : Logistics Officer
Duty Station : Dakar, Senegal
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 29 November 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries: Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Maldives, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the overall guidance of the Chief of Mission and the Resources Management Officer, and the direct supervision of the Migrant Assistance and Reintegration Project Manager, the successful candidate will be accountable and responsible for ensuring the appropriate implementation of instructions and policies governing the management of resources related to procurement and logistics in the mission. S/he will be responsible and accountable for providing support to ongoing activities with procurement and logistics services, and particularly those pertaining to assistance to vulnerable migrants and reintegration. S/he will also contribute to providing recommendations aiming at increasing effectiveness and efficiency of procurement and logistics management within the IOM Senegal mission.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Manage procurement and logistics staff in Dakar and in IOM Senegal sub-offices, and ensure they are provided with necessary guidance and support to deliver duties in line with IOM procedures and processes.
Ensure smooth supply of good, materials and services, needed for the implementation of IOM Senegal programmes.
Assist in the implementation of procurement, logistics, facilities maintenance, asset administration and transport support within IOM control mechanisms.
Take responsibility for planning, implementation, and monitoring aspects related to logistical needs of the units supported.
Coordinate with the IOM Senegal Procurement/Logistics team to analyse procurement requests, identify Service Providers, and evaluate information regarding vendors’ performance in the areas of quality, prices, and delivery of goods and services in view of the Organization’s best interests.
Ensure proper management of inventory by the staff responsible.
Communicate in a timely manner with Project Managers, Resources Management Officer and the Chief of Mission any potential obstacles or issues that would impede program activities.
Prepare weekly reports on logistics operations in IOM Senegal and review systems and operational modalities to enhance efficiency, and propose and implement strategic adjustments towards increasing the effectiveness and accuracy of all logistic activities.
Follow-up and liaise with the Logistics & Procurement Unit on purchase orders status and keep project managers/requesters abreast of estimated delivery times or any changes that may affect or modify the pre-determined delivery conditions. Ensure all expected merchandise is received in accordance with Purchase Order specifications, and that all goods are in good condition.
Ensure all Procurement and Logistics transactions are appropriately tracked and documented through PRISM, and implement offline tracking systems as needed to ensure accuracy.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Business Administration, Management, Logistics, Procurement or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Training and international field experience in the procurement, logistics and operations field;
• Experience in large scale procurement and logistics;
• Experience in managing staff and extensive technical experience;
• Sound skills in reporting and Microsoft Word applications;
• Ability to work under minimum supervision;
• Experience in the West and Central Africa region an advantage.
Fluency in English and French are required. Working knowledge of Wolof an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 29 November 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 16.11.2017 to 29.11.2017
Requisition: VN 2017/253 (P) – Logistics Officer (P2) – Dakar, Senegal (55246100) Released
Posting: Posting NC55246117 (55246117) Released
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT