Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 10 Dec 2017
Position Title : Consultant – Communications Coordinator
Duty Station : IOM Libya in Tunis, Tunisia
Classification : Consultant, Grade OTHE
Type of Appointment : Consultant, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 10 December 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Established in 1951, IOM is the UN Migration Agency and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners in the field of migration. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments, migrants and other key stakeholders.
Within the framework of the Voluntary Humanitarian Return (VHR) Programme and the Migrant Resource and Response Mechanism (MRRM) in Libya, IOM seeks to enhance the protection of vulnerable migrants in transit by increasing awareness of migration threats and hazards as well as providing critical information about access and referral to a wide variety of targeted humanitarian services including voluntary humanitarian return assistance. To facilitate this objective, a targeted two-way communications campaign will be developed in Libya using culturally and linguistically relevant print and multimedia communications tools with embedded feedback mechanisms to help migrants in Libya and facilitate return to their countries of origin where requested.
Under the direct supervision of the Emergency and Liason Officer and in close coordination with VHR and MRRM Programme Managers, the Media and Communications Division (MCD) at HQ and the Public Information Unit at IOM Libya, the consultant will be responsible for the implementation of the two-way communications campaign and dissemination and awareness raising activities related to migrants and media communication action under the COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT AND TWO-WAY COMMUNICATIONS: Assisted Voluntary Return and Migrant Resource and Response Mechanism initiative.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
• Conduct a mapping of IOM and other actors’ ongoing projects along the
central Mediterranean route related to awareness raising on irregular migration risks but also related to positive alternatives, aiming at creating synergies with the information campaign;
• Develop a methodology and work plan for all stages of implementation of the outreach and communication activities;
• Identify the target audience and the best means to reach the migrants in
order to maximize the campaign’s impact;
• Conceptualize, design and develop multimedia, multilingual awareness raising materials for migrants in transit in Libya using various formats as appropriate such as text, graphics, imageries, infographics, video, printed materials, etc.; review and field test the awareness raising products developed, selecting key messages and materials according to the specific migratory context in Libya;
• Provide technical inputs to MCD colleagues to support in the development of a customized mobile application to collect migrants’ stories and an online platform to visualize campaign feedback;
• Coordinate the collection of testimonies of migrants in Libya including through training of field staff where feasible and incorporate vetted stories collected to support IOM’s awareness materials for migrants in transit in Libya;
• Plan and ensure effective implementation and monitoring of dissemination activities in target communities building upon a network of local NGOs and community leaders;
• Prepare internal regular updates, specific briefings covering the project’s activities and elaborate a final report on activities conducted, achievements and lessons learnt;
• Ensure liaison between IOM Libya, Regional Offices, Headquarters and Manila as well as the governmental and nongovernmental stakeholders in Libya, to facilitate the dissemination of the info campaign message;
• Ensure that the planned outreach activities are gender sensitive and in line with IOM’s media and visibility guidelines;
• Undertake any other duties as may be assigned by IOM Programme Managers.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• University degree in Communication, Media, Journalism;
• Minimum of 5 years of international experience in developing and implementing communications strategies, action plans and performance monitoring frameworks, preferably in the field of migration;
• Strong understanding of digital technology and emerging communications
channels including social media platforms, interactive voice response (IVR) and messaging apps;
• Excellent written and oral communications skills in English; Arabic and/or French as a distinct advantage;
• Previous experience working in humanitarian or crisis contexts;
• Ability to work independently in a multi-task and multi-deadline environment;
• Excellent organizational and prioritization skills, setting goals and timelines and working on deadlines;
• Ability to work and communicate effectively with government officials and with a variety of people and organizations, both internally and externally;
• Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team of colleagues of varied cultural and professional backgrounds;
• Experience in training or capacity enhancement activities;
• Experience in devising campaign, promotion and visibility material.
• Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French and/or Arabic is a distinct advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment or visa requirements and security clearances.
How to apply:
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 10 December 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 27.11.2017 to 10.12.2017
Requisition: CON2017/82 – Consultant – Communications Coordinator -IOM Libya in Tunis,Tunisia
Posting: Posting NC55260360 (55260360) Released
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT