Organization: US Institute of Peace
Country: United States of America
Closing date: 15 Dec 2017
USIP is mandated by congress and works to prevent, mitigate, and resolve violent conflict around the world. USIP does this by engaging directly in conflict zones and by providing analysis, education, and resources to those working for peace and on the ground in the world’s most dangerous regions. The Institute is Headquartered in Washington DC with staff working in 22 different countries, at any given time up to 20% of the staff could be deployed working in the field. The Institute is located on the National Mall, on the corner of Constitution and 23rd Street, directly across from the State Department and the Lincoln Memorial. This location provides a powerful projection platform and stage for peace to the world.
Information Services core responsibility is to provide both secure and reliable communications and information systems to support the operations of USIP and to provide platforms which enable the Institute to share its work with the American people and the world.
To keep it simple, Information Services “enable’s” the mobile peacemaker for the Institute.
Are you a team leader/systems administrator looking to break into management? This position offers an opportunity for you to manage a service desk while increasing your skillset as a sysadmin.
The Information Services team at USIP is full of technologists who enjoy working with technology in their free time. We are looking for someone who wants to learn, grow, and contribute to our projects. This candidate will be working with and learning from Senior Network, Security, and Audiovisual Engineers. We are looking for someone who builds their own computers, own’s a Raspberry Pi, or have their own home lab. This position presents an opportunity to learn and grow in whatever direction you wish to take your career in IT.
• Supervise Helpdesk Operations
• Support the IS Director in daily business operations
• Manage all aspects of a multi-site Active Directory forest
• Manage and build solutions in Office 365
• Communicate and document technological solutions
• Must have excellent writing and communication skills.
• Administer a hybrid environment of Windows and Linux servers, ESXi, and Hyper-V hypervisors.
• Provide Tier III support and be an escalation point for helpdesk issues
• Support our Audio-Visual team during major events
• Exemplify teamwork in a highly visible, fast paced environment
• Maintain a flexible schedule – some after-hours work will be required
• Other duties as assigned
• Must have the ability to work cooperatively and strategically in a team environment with all levels of professional, technical, and administrative staff and to integrate resources on a timely and organized basis.
• Client Service/People Oriented (understands human nature, manages difficult or emotional situations, responsive to client needs, honors commitments, motivated to build relationships and solve problems, projects a positive attitude)
• Communication Superstar (engages others, appropriately sets expectations, actively listens to and assesses requests, seeks information not freely provided, shares updates clearly and concisely, organizes details and documents information effectively, ability to translate technical language to non-technical language, masters both written and verbal communication in their many forms)
• Perseverance (takes initiative, serves clients with energy and drive, sees all actions through to closure, assertive without being aggressive, desires results)
• High Adaptability (excels in multiple hardware and software environments, communicates effectively with others to advance common goals in a highly dynamic environment, multi-tasks with ease and knows when to single task for best results, prioritizes well)
• Attention to Detail (notices what others seem to miss, organized and consistently executes tasks effectively and efficiently, keeps up to date on best practices and shares openly with teammates and colleagues)
• High degree of self-discipline
• 10+ years of related IT systems administration
• 3+ year of management experience
• Experience with Microsoft Active Directory, Office 365 Cloud Solutions and Desktop Applications, Microsoft Exchange Online, Windows 7/10, and Surface Pro/Books
• Experience with Apple products such as iPhones, iPads, and Mac OS
• Experience with Linux operating systems
• Experience with IDS and Vulnerability Assessment tools
• Experience with Network troubleshooting tools and techniques
• Customer service experience
• Preferred Certifications: MCSE, CCNP, CISSP, CEH
• Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related discipline
Note: The following exceptions to take place of minimum education requirements will be considered and determined by USIP: experience; skills; training; certification; quality of experience; national recognition; exceptional GPA
Extended List of Duties
• Manage all Helpdesk tickets for the team.
• Ensure presence of on-site personnel when directed, M-F, 7:30AM – 6:30PM
• Manage special projects for the Help Desk as required.
• Work with the IS Team to ensure that the Help Desk has the skills required to succeed at all Tier 1and Tier 2 tasks.
• Participate in annual budget and other IS management exercises.
• Provide situational awareness and status to leaders at all levels based on their operational needs.
• Respond to and resolve Tier 1 through Tier 3 service requests submitted via USIP Help Desk ticket system, email, phone and in-person.
• Set up and provision users for travel. Support travelers during travel.
• Support remote users.
• Deploy and install Cisco VoIP phones.
• Configure phone profiles and Active Directory accounts as required.
• Install and configure iOS and Android phones and tablets, including Office 365 account configuration.
• Create, modify, delete, provision accounts in Active Directory and Office 365.
• Provide backup support to the Audio/Visual team by resourcing and configuring laptops, network connectivity, and Skype calls.
• Establish a maintenance contract and warranty plan according.
• Review site license agreements and remove software from systems when no longer required or authorized. Dispose or redistribute excess software.
• Work with the IS Team during and outside business hours to support Conferences, Meetings, and Events.
• Maintain accountability of all USIP equipment, location, and assignment, which should be maintained with automated tools.
• Escort and assist with installation or upgrade projects.
• Achieve full operational capability within 4 hours after notification in situations requiring increased operations tempo or surge.
• Provide a core set of office automation application support services.
• Dispatch technicians to user locations when required to test, troubleshoot, and restore service.
• Ability to lift, carry, and setup equipment that weighing up to 50 lbs.
• Must be able to walk or stand for long periods of time while serving as a technician during events.
• Position requires standing, stooping, bending, kneeling, climbing, pushing, pulling, and working in tight uncomfortable positions to perform position responsibilities.
• Can climb ladders and work in areas within ceilings or on walls.
• Working within a flexible schedule to meet the demands of the events schedule.
• Ensure situational awareness of USIP equipment is maintained and respond/report any system degradation events.
• Manage production VMWare cluster
• Manage VMWare NSX environment for sensitive data
• Monitor and create Veeam backups
• Create workstation images using MDT
• Manage Webroot AV solution, and disinfect infected computers
• Conduct assessments, correlate incidents, conduct spot check compliance, and conduct on-line surveys for suspicious activities (internal and external) across the USIP network. Notify USIP Director of Information Services of attacks and suspicious activities.
• Conduct and manage USIP vulnerability analysis and assistance functions. Notify USIP Director of Information Services of technical vulnerabilities impacting USIP computers and computer networks.
• Monitor Core Services via automated tools.
• Receive and inventory network software, test and validate new software applications and network operating systems.
• Ensure vulnerability scans are run monthly.
• Distribute and install network software releases and updates, and assist USIP end-users with software installation and customization.
• Implement software patches and security fixes.
• Maintain global situational awareness of events impacting USIP networks.
- Customer Service experience
- Experience with Microsoft Active Directory, Office 365 Cloud Solutions and Desktop Applications, Microsoft Exchange Online, Windows 7/10, and Surface Pro/Books
Experience with Apple products such as iPhones, iPads, and Mac OSPreferred
10 year(s): 10+ years of related IT systems administration
How to apply:
To apply for this position, please use the following URL:
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS ARI