Organization: Sabin Vaccine Institute
Country: United States of America
Closing date: 29 Dec 2017
The Manager will play a key epidemiological role in the Surveillance of Enteric Fever in Asia Project (SEAP), working closely with the Vice President, Typhoid Programs, team members and research partners. SEAP is an established surveillance system, which enables the systematic collection of data on enteric fever to fill the knowledge gaps related to the population impact and burden of enteric fever. Data being collected includes incidence, mortality, complications, hospitalization, economic impact of disease, long-term sequelae, and clinical outcome differences between drug-sensitive and drug-resistant Salmonella Typhi and Salmonella Paratyphi. The Manager is responsible for ensuring the high quality and on-time delivery of data analysis and results dissemination of SEAP, including communicating the findings effectively through scientific publications and internal and external reports. This is an exempt position reporting to the Vice President, Typhoid Programs.
• Work with Vice President, Typhoid Programs and SEAP partners to lead review of data collected through SEAP, including hypothesis generation
• Act in subject matter expert role in the area of data analysis and interpretation
• Work with Vice President, Typhoid Programs and SEAP partners in leading academic manuscript writing efforts for peer-reviewed journals related to SEAP to effectively communicate results of analyses
• Create compelling data visualizations for manuscripts, reports, presentations and other project related deliverables
• Assist with dissemination of study results at the global level through meetings, workshops and conferences, including preparation of abstracts and presentations (both oral and written)
• Additional research and analytical duties as needed
• Master’s degree in Public Health or equivalent postgraduate qualification in Epidemiology
• 7+ years relevant experience, including 1+ years of advanced training or experience in infectious diseases and/or vaccine-related epidemiology
• Strong data analysis capacity, including but not limited to sample size calculations, rate calculations and risk factor modeling
• Strong skills in using statistical tools and database software (e.g., SAS, Stata, SPSS or other data analytical tool)
• Experience with data collection, data cleaning and database management
• Experience in the principles of epidemiologic study design and implementation and quantitative analytical methods used for epidemiological studies
• Knowledge of vaccine-preventable infectious diseases in developing countries highly desirable
• International field experience implementing research studies
• Extensive experience publishing in peer-reviewed scientific journals regarding health, infectious diseases and/or modelling
• Experience liaising with a wide variety of international partners, NGOs, senior government officials, including U.S. government and foundations
• Knowledge of disease modelling methods a plus
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to understand and interpret scientific methods and information and communicate the data to both scientific and lay audiences, in written and presentation formats
• Problem-solver; ability to see solutions to complex, unique situations where the epidemiological principles need to be applied
• Strong attention to detail, ability to manage complex tasks, highly organized, flexible, dependable and able to prioritize competing demands in order to meet deadlines
• Superior service orientation
• Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment and to deal calmly with complex technical issues
• Strong people management and interpersonal skills; excellent at working closely with others over geographical distance
• Ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 20%
How to apply:
To be considered, please submit your cover letter, resume and salary requirements via e-mail to email@example.com, fax to 202-842-7689 or mail to HR Manager, Sabin Vaccine Institute, 2175 K Street, NW, Suite 400, Washington, DC 20037. Please be sure to reference “Manager” in the subject line. Your cover letter should: (1) address the reasons for your interest in this position; and, (2) describe the knowledge, skills, and abilities you would bring the Sabin Vaccine Institute. No phone calls, please. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Sabin Vaccine Institute has a generous benefits package.
Sabin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons shall have the opportunity to be considered for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability or handicap, sex or gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS ARI