Organization: American University of Afghanistan
Closing date: 31 Dec 2017
Report to: Provost
Starting: Spring/Summer 2018
Founded in 2006, The American University of Afghanistan (AUAF) is a student-centered, innovative institution dedicated to educating Afghanistan’s next generation of leaders. Committed to blending liberal learning and professional preparation, AUAF currently offers four undergraduate and two graduate degrees. The university also serves the development of public and private sectors through outreach programs offered through its Centers of Excellence, the Women’s Center, the Business Innovation Hub, and the Professional Development Institute. For more information about AUAF, please visit www.auaf.edu.af.
General Objective: AUAF seeks to hire an experienced, energetic and student-centered director to lead the new AUAF Academy. The AUAF Academy is a new, pre-baccalaureate university preparatory program that equips students with the academic English, mathematics, and computing skills necessary to successfully transition to university level work. The Director will be responsible for:
· The delivery, assessment and continuous improvement of the academy’s integrated academic English, mathematics and computing programs;
· Creating, managing, overseeing and nurturing a collaborative environment in which faculty and staff from all participating departments work together to assure both programmatic integrity and student success.
· The development of all aspects of the academic schedule and time-table, including coordination with department chairs that are faculty line managers.
· Developing and executing a high quality orientation, advising and student life program in collaboration with the relevant student services and academic affairs.
· Provide leadership in the ongoing professional development and strategic planning for the Academy’s future.
· Provide leadership and expertise in assisting AUAF to develop a comprehensive English-language strategy, an integrated approach that will include language development programs in the pre-baccalaureate, general education and major programs.
The Director must be an energetic and committed academic leader able to operate with a great deal of independence. He or she will teach the equivalent of six undergraduate credit hours in the program.
The successful candidate will have:
· Significant administrative experience and in a college-preparatory or baccalaureate-level English program delivered to non-native speakers of English.
· A successful record of TESOL teaching experience at the level of pre-collegiate and/or collegiate level writing.
· An MA in TESOL or related field.
· Strong administrative, management and communication skills.
· Demonstrated curriculum development experience.
· Ability to foster a sense of community and promote teamwork in a rapidly changing educational environment.
The strong candidate will also have one or more of the following qualifications or experiences:
· Competency in the standardized English-language testing methods.
· Experience in developing new programs.
· Experience in and knowledge of writing and rhetoric methodologies deployed in credit-baring academic writing programs.
· Experience in delivering specialized English-language support in the context of one or more academic disciplines.
· A doctoral degree.
Salary and Benefits:
The university provides a competitive salary plus benefits allowance, medical and life insurance coverage, annual travel allowance and furnished housing.
How to apply:
To apply, send a cover letter, a CV, and a list of 3 professional references as one PDF document attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Academy Director” in the email subject line. Review of applications will begin on December 31 and will continue until the position is filled. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. This job is located in Kabul, Afghanistan. It is important to note that employees of AUAF conform to comprehensive security requirements during their period of residence in the country.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS ARI