Organization: American University of Afghanistan
Closing date: 15 Jan 2018
Reports To: The University President
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
The American University of Afghanistan (AUAF) is a private, non-profit university offering an American-style liberal arts education. We opened our doors in 2005 and currently offer four undergraduate academic majors and master’s degrees in Business Administration and Education. We follow a strict non-discriminatory policy and applicants from all ethnic, religious, and economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We are a young and growing dynamic university with a student population of nearly 1,100 and we hope to reach 1,250 students by the fall 2017 academic semester. We have expanded operations to the 75-acre international campus across the street from our original campus. Construction is ongoing for additional classroom and laboratory buildings to help meet the growing needs of our student population.
About the Vice President of Finance and Administration:
The VP of Finance and Administration is responsible for the effective and efficient operation of the Financial and Administrative services at the American University of Afghanistan (AUAF). S/he provides leadership and vision to the Directors of Finance, Human Resources, Procurement, Information Technology, Facilities, Security/Transportation, and Food Services. Reporting to the President, the VP of Finance and Administration is a member of the President’s Cabinet which includes the Provost and the VP of Development.
1. Develop Policies and Systems
· Advises the President on strategic operational management and policy development, thus ensuring that the financial and administration services of AUAF adhere to best practice.
· Participates in the development and amendment of the AUAF strategic plan.
· In coordination with the VP of Development, pro-actively develops the long-term financial feasibility plan for the university’s evolution to a full-scale institution.
· Develops a facilities renovation / new construction strategy including capital plan for the current and future campus sites.
· Develops the AUAF annual budget and assist with strategic and operational planning.
2. Lead, Coordinate and Control
· Leads the annual Operating Plan process including budgeting and resource mobilization to ensure AUAF objectives are attained.
· Leads the monthly planning and budget review process to ensure actual spending is on track with the budget and key program deliverables are being met.
· Implements the relevant provisions of the AUAF Strategic Plan and Operating Plan in full consultation with the President.
· Proactively informs the President of any financial, administrative, or logistical developments or circumstances that might affect the operation of AUAF.
· Provides administrative and operational leadership for campus support services as needed and directed by the President.
· Develops and oversees control mechanisms that ensure efficient and effective implementation of the financial and administrative operations of AUAF which are in line with the overall AUAF Strategic and Operating Plans.
· Establishes efficient and effective coordination systems across all support units to nurture an environment of cooperation, coordination, and transparency and cost-effective and efficient service delivery.
· Develops an accountability system that ensures resources (including human and financial capital) are used effectively and accounted for transparently at all levels of the University. Works closely and maintains liaison with funding and other public agencies including USAID ensuring compliance with compensation, procurement, and other procedures and reporting requirements.
· Supports the President and VP of Development in developing relations with donors and in fundraising activities.Acts as the major liaison for AUAF, in addition to President, with the U.S. Embassy including USAID, Department of State, Department of Defense, and other entities and coordinating all official and unofficial AUAF meetings.
· Coordinates communication with those committees of the Board of Trustees that oversee the financial and administrative functions of the university, including the Finance and Audit Committee, the Security Committee, and the Land and Buildings Committee,
3. Program Quality, Monitoring and Evaluation
· Oversees the implementation of AUAF rules and regulations, laws, decrees and the authorities’ directions within the mandate of the President and Board of Trustees.
· Ensures quality service provision through the development, review and continuous update of customer service framework for effective and efficient service delivery of functions within the unit’s given mandate.
· Interacts with professional counterparts at similar institutions to review practice and transfer applicable knowledge and experience to AUAF.
4. Human Resources Management
· Develops a highly capable, motivated and efficient organization as well as effective recruitment and workplace practices to facilitate AUAF’s planned growth.
· Ensures recruitment of staff is in compliance with AUAF policies and procedures.
· Manages subordinate’s work-plans to ensure their work is in alignment with and in fulfilment of the overall AUAF work plan.
· Ensures that the annual performance evaluation of all AUAF employees is carried out by all concerned managers at high levels of quality, in accordance to the requirements of AUAF policies and procedures and leading by example.
· Develops and implements capacity building plans for staff that report directly to him/her and coordinates its implementation with the Director of Human Resources.
· Leads organizational development, change and reform through encouragement, and motivation of AUAF employees.
· Reviews, validates and submits reports (HR and financial) in line with operational department work plans on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis to the President.
· Reports financial results to the President and to the Board of Trustees regularly.
- Any other duties
· Undertake any other tasks assigned by the President in support of overall AUAF objectives.
Desired Background and Experience:
· A qualified CPA or Chartered Accountant with a Master’s Degree in Finance or another relevant discipline from a US or English-language university;
· A demonstrated record managing programs related to academic study, training, and organizational performance for at least 8 years;
· Significant senior leadership experience in finance and administrative functions for a complex organization;
· Experience in IT, HR, financial and strategic planning, grant management, facility construction and maintenance and security operations;
· Working knowledge of managing donor budgets, budgeting, grants, and computerized accounting software and networking;
· Demonstrated ability to work effectively with students, faculty, staff, trustees, and local authorities in a multicultural environment;
· Direct experience working in Afghanistan, the Middle East, or Central Asia regions is required;
· English fluency and supervisory experience are required;
· Demonstrated skills in team-building and collaboration;
· Significant administrative experience building capacity in a US or similar institution of higher learning are pluses.
· Willingness to make at least a three-year commitment to working full-time in Afghanistan, with the VP’s office located at the university in Kabul.
Compensation and benefits are competitive.
How to apply:
Qualified applicants – both national and international – must submit their resume and cover letter in one document as PDF or MS Word to email@example.com. Applications are accepted in English only. Please include “**VP of Finance and Administration**” in the subject line of the email.
Application Deadline: All applications must be submitted on or before January 15th, 2018. After reviews of the applicants, interviews for the finalists will be set up in Kabul on the AUAF Campus.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS ARI