Organization: International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas
Closing date: 28 Jan 2018
Main purpose of the position
The research Scientist will work in the areas of hydro-climatology, climate science, surface water hydrology and the assessment of climate change impacts on natural resources and agricultural systems. The climatologist works as part of a multi-disciplinary team on a variety of exciting, high-impact, applied research projects.
The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) is an international autonomous, non-profit, research organization supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR).
ICARDA’s mission is to reduce poverty, enhance food, water and nutritional security, as well as environmental health in the face of global challenges including climate change. We do this through innovative science, strategic partnerships, linking research to development and capacity development that take into account gender equality and the role of youth in transforming the dry areas. ICARDA works in partnership with governments, universities, civil society, national agricultural research organization, other CGIAR research Centers, and the private sector. With its temporary Headquarters in Beirut, Lebanon, ICARDA operates in regional and country offices across Africa, Asia and the Middle East. For more information: www.icarda.org
• Develop algorithms to downscale global climate model outputs, especially at local level, and to link it with hydrologic and crop models.
• Undertake research to quantify the impacts of climate variability and change on the natural resources and agricultural cropping systems in dry environments.
• Contribute to the modelling of the impacts of adaptation and mitigation measures and quantifying the benefits of the responses
• Contribute hydroclimate expertise to projects in water resources assessment and integrated basin modelling.
• Organize and participate in training activities in cooperation with other programs in ICARDA, NARS partners, and advanced research institutions.
• Publish in ISI refereed journals with focus on hydro-climatology and agricultural systems.
• Develop research project proposals and contribute to overall resource mobilization efforts of research program.
Education, qualifications and experience
· A PhD in environmental science, hydrology, hydro climatology, crop modelling or a related discipline.
· 3-5 years of Post-doc experience in hydro climatology and hydrological sciences with strong expertise in climate variability and climate impact on hydrological system.
· Experience in conducting hydrological analysis, using modelling tools and interpreting the results.
· Experience in using climatic and hydrological datasets and analysis.
· Experience in setting up and verifying hydrological models.
· Excellent interpersonal and communications skills and ability to work effectively in multidisciplinary teams in a multicultural work environment.
· Track record of research publications in high quality journals and of presenting results at international scientific conferences or meetings.
· Ability to write competitive proposals/grant applications, with a track record of winning external research funding.
Terms of appointment, salary and benefits
This is an internationally recruited position for which ICARDA offers an attractive compensation package including a competitive salary, housing allowance, non-contributory retirement plan, medical insurance and leave provisions. All benefits are denominated and paid in US Dollars. The successful candidate will be offered an initial contract of 3 years, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds. The first year will be probationary period.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from qualified women.
Applications will be acknowledged, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
How to apply:
Please apply online at www.icarda.org/iea/ by 28 January 2018.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS ARI