Organization: US Institute of Peace
Closing date: 12 Jan 2018
The United States Institute of Peace (USIP) prevents, mitigates and resolves violent conflicts around the world by engaging directly in conflict zones and providing analysis, education and resources to those working for peace.
To learn more about USIP programs and job openings, go to: https://www.usip.org/about/careers.
These are the values we expect each USIP staff to live up to in their work and in their interactions with their colleagues.
The Program Officer – Iraq (PO), under the supervision of the Regional Program Manager for the Middle East (RPM), exercises management, planning, financial oversight and public outreach for USIP’s Iraq program, with a specific focus on projects related to reconciliation, dialogue processes and capacity support to key partners in government and civil society. The PO will report to the RPM and and work in close coordination with USIP’s field based team in Erbil and Baghdad, support staff in USIP’s Tunis Regional Hub, and team members in Washington DC. The position also requires close coordination with USIP’s strategic national partner, Sanad for Peacebuilding. The PO will be responsible for ensuring that projects are being implemented accordingly to the work plan, and that reporting and financial requirement are being implemented accordingly.
This position will be based in Baghdad.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Working with the RPM, identifies program opportunities in Iraq, based on thorough needs assessment and in line with USIP mandate and strategy.
- Leads implementation of designated program activities in Iraq in line with established goals, objectives, and partnership agreements.
- Ensures all program activities are implemented within program timelines and in a manner that meets program standards and objectives.
- Manages existing program budget to ensure that program is operating within budget limitations and meeting goals and objectives.
- Acts as a main focal point for USIP’s partners in country.
- Identifies and maintains critical stakeholder relationship as they relate to program focus.
- Oversees and delivers monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting for both internal and external project stakeholders, including responsibility for the development, editing and timely submission of any progress reports that may be required, including coordinating with HQ and/or regional counterparts who are providing key inputs.
- Ensures the highest level of communication and cooperation with relevant USIP departments/divisions/teams and external partners.
- Supports efforts to represent the program in internal and external events and to disseminate information about USIP’s programs and research findings.
- Provides project briefings to governmental or other organizations on key subject matter areas.
- Travel to USIP HQ and Tunis Regional Office to meet with key USG stakeholders and participate in strategic planning sessions with regional and thematic teams, and to Erbil, Sulimaniya and Baghdad as required.
- Keep up-to-date on new research and programs as they relate to USIP’s program focuses.
- Research and write on USIP’s program focuses.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in political science, international affairs, law, or related field required; equivalent work experience may be substituted for Master’s degree.
- A minimum of five (5) years of program management and direct- implementation experience in the field is required, preferably in a post-conflict setting.
- Demonstrated experience in project design, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation.
- Strong interest and experience with innovative programming and problem solving skills.
- Good research, analytical and writing skills. Able to write effectively in a variety of formats and for a variety of audiences.
- Experience working on//in Iraq.
- Good level of understanding of the current conflict dynamics in Iraq and the region at large.
- Demonstrated experience coordinating with officials in government, international organizations, and national partners.
- Fluency in English and good working knowledge of Arabic required; fluency in Arabic is preferred.
- Technical experience in dialogue processes, and conflict management, negotiation and mediation is preferred.
This position is subject to the availability of funds. Salary is commensurate with experience. Immediate or very near-term availability will be an important factor in candidate selection.
Employment with the U.S. Institute of Peace is not employment with the U.S. government. The U.S. Institute of Peace is an independent, nonpartisan, national institution which aims to prevent and resolve violent international conflicts, promote post-conflict stability and increase conflict management capacity by empowering others with knowledge, skills and resources, as well as by directly engaging in peacebuilding efforts around the globe.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Immediate or very near-term availability will be an important factor in candidate selection.
All USIP contract and employee positions are contingent upon the favorable completion of a suitability background investigation.
HOW TO APPLY:
To be considered for this position, please submit a complete application package consisting of:
- Completed employment application including titles, dates of hire and salary history.
- Cover letter
For questions about this position, please email email@example.com. Do not send resumes or attachments to this email address. Only those applicants that are selected for further discussions will be contacted.
USIP is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy and practice of USIP to offer equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, age, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, HIV/AIDS status, political affiliations or belief, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How to apply:
To apply for this position, please use the following URL:
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS ARI