Tasks and Responsibilities
The Junior Expert will backstop FLEGT country and regional teams in their support to FLEGT processes in South East Asia, and REDD experts in selected country work. As part of the Asia Regional Office team and together with other experts, the Junior Expert will:
- Support FLEGT teams in Indonesia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand and Vietnam in the different aspects of VPA negotiation and implementation processes, in particular assistance to timber legality assurance system design and implementation, and support to stakeholder processes.
- Carry out analysis of forest governance challenges and informing strategic thinking to support FLEGT processes at national and regional level. Topics to be covered may include law enforcement, transparency, stakeholder participation, timber trade, supply chain control, small and medium size enterprises, legal, technical and institutional reforms, and general aspects of impact monitoring.
- Support integration EU FLEGT Facility work and experience into EU REDD Facility interventions in Indonesia, Vietnam and Laos.
- Contribute to document lessons learnt in the design and implementation of FLEGT and REDD processes.
- Minimum of four years relevant working experience in forestry and/or natural resource management, timber industry, development policy, governance, or related field. Experience in a timber producing country in South East Asia is an asset.
- University degree in natural resource management, political science, law and economics, forestry, or a related and suitable field. MSc/MA is a plus.
- Excellent analytical and networking skills, solid writing, reporting and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability of working in multi-disciplinary teams in multi-cultural environments.
- Professional proficiency in English is required. Understanding of one of the South East Asian languages is an asset.
Duty Station and Travel
The Junior Expert will be based in EFI’s Asia Regional Office in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, with frequent travel to the Asia region and once or twice a year to Europe.
EFI offers competitive benefits and salary package. The duration of employment will be two years including a four-month probation period, with a possibility for extension.
Interested candidates are requested to send a CV with motivation letter by 15th January 2018, using the online application form. If it is not possible for you to apply online please send your application to efi.hr @ efi.int.
EFI is an equal opportunity employer. All applications will be treated confidentially.
For more information about the position, please contact Mr. Alexander Hinrichs, Head of Asia Regional Office, email: alexander.hinrichs @ efi.int.
Please note that only candidates that have been shortlisted for interview will be contacted.
Read more here:: GFIS