Organization: International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas
Closing date: 18 Jan 2018
Main purpose of the position: To undertake continuous development of the Genetic Resources Section (GRS) documentations system and data management related to GRS.
The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) is an international autonomous, non-profit, research organization supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR).
ICARDA’s mission is to reduce poverty, enhance food, water and nutritional security, as well as environmental health in the face of global challenges including climate change. We do this through innovative science, strategic partnerships, linking research to development and capacity development that take into account gender equality and the role of youth in transforming the dry areas. ICARDA works in partnership with governments, universities, civil society, national agricultural research organization, other CGIAR research Centers, and the private sector. With its temporary Headquarters in Beirut, Lebanon, ICARDA operates in regional and country offices across Africa, Asia and the Middle East. For more information: www.icarda.org
· Develop and maintain the existing GRS database, ensuring its full functionality and that it and meets the needs of the users.
· Develop an effective documentation system for the GRS.
· Curate, publish and share ICARDA GRS data with stakeholders and general public users.
· Develop and maintain the breeding management system (BMS).
· Conduct trainings on germplasm documentation and computer use.
· Back-up the databases weekly (more frequently if necessary) and maintain a log of backed-up files.
· Support the development of focused identification of germplasm strategy (FIGS) subsets and in data analysis.
· Perform other duties as required.
Education, qualifications and experience
· B.Sc. in Computer Science or other related field with at least 5 years of experience in programming, database development, statistics or other related experience or M.Sc. with 3 years of relevant experience.
· Knowledge in database servers such as MySQL.
· Knowledge in writing java applications.
· Strong background in data management, analytics and presentation.
· Experience in operating software packages on PCs and Servers.
· Ability to manage large datasets.
· Knowledge of programming, statistical analysis and modeling is highly desirable.
· Knowledge of R programming is an asset.
· Good written and oral communication skills in English, fluency in Arabic or French.
· Ability to work effectively in a team in a multicultural and multidisciplinary work environment.
· Excellent time-management skills, ability to deliver when facing multiple projects with tight deadlines.
Terms of appointment, salary and benefits
The successful candidate will be offered an initial contract of 3 years, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds. The first year will be probationary period.
How to apply:
Please apply online at www.icarda.org/iea/ by January 18, 2018.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from qualified women.
Applications will be acknowledged, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS ARI