Organization: US Institute of Peace
Closing date: 28 Jan 2018
The United States Institute of Peace (USIP) prevents, mitigates and resolves violent conflicts around the world by engaging directly in conflict zones and providing analysis, education and resources to those working for peace.
To learn more about USIP programs and job openings, go to https://www.usip.org/about/careers.
These are the values we expect each USIP staff to live up to in their work and in their interactions with their colleagues.
The community engagement officer will lead USIP’s efforts to create a Nigerian network of community facilitators. The officer will identify a group of civic leaders, including youth, women and religious, and will support them through skills training to prepare, convene and facilitate intergroup dialogues aimed at resolving local conflicts and supporting USIP’s ongoing efforts in Nigeria. This position reports to the Senior Program Officer for Nigeria (in Washington, D.C).
• Work with the DC-based Senior Program Officer, and in-country team to design, manage, and implement activities in support of USIP’s Nigeria program;
• Oversee the day-to-day implementation and reporting of activities related to the elections security assessment;
• Build and strengthen existing relations with relevant national and international government and non-government organizations or institutions engaged in elections programming;
• Assist members of the assessment team, staff and trainers, with logistical support, including travel and venue;
• Assist with recruiting, training and supervising the work of partner non-governmental organizations that will assist with the elections security assessment;
• Compile briefing materials, and provide technical expertise to support the elections assessment team;
• Track political developments related to the national and gubernatorial elections and inform USIP colleagues of related developments and their potential impact on the assessment;
• Monitor work plan deadlines, and follow up with partners to track all monitoring and evaluation indicators;
• Represent USIP at relevant meetings and conferences on the 2019 elections;
• Ensure the goals of the assessment are achieved and draft regular weekly project updates.
• Well organized, self-motivated, and able to conceptualize, manage, and implement projects in stressful environments;
• Significant practical experience in supporting citizen election observation groups and conducting election assessment;
• Substantial knowledge of Nigeria’s electoral system;
• Deep knowledge of Nigeria’s conflict, security, and political landscape;
• Significant training experience and workshop facilitation skills; and ability to communicate skills and experience to others as a trainer;
• Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively interact with all levels of staff, program participants, U.S. and foreign government personnel and NGO community;
• Outstanding written and verbal communications skills;
• Capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team.
• Ability and willingness to travel outside Abuja, including to remote and difficult to reach areas.
• Ability to maintain performance expectations in diverse cultural contexts, and respect and relate appropriately to people of different faiths and cultural backgrounds.
• Minimum of five (5) years consistent experience in civil society development and election observation;
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in political science, international development, management or related field; graduate degree preferred;
• English language fluency mandatory. Advanced proficiency in other Nigerian languages also preferred;
• Passion for USIP’s subject matter and willingness to take on the responsibilities and duties as a key member of our team; and
• Demonstrated strong work ethic.
All USIP contract and employee positions are contingent upon the favorable completion of a suitability background investigation.
Compensation is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
HOW TO APPLY:
To be considered for this position, please submit a complete application package consisting of:
Completed employment application including titles, dates of hire and salary history.
For questions about this position, please email email@example.com. Do not send resumes or attachments to this email address. Only those applicants that are selected for further discussions will be contacted.
USIP is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy and practice of USIP to offer equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, age, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, HIV/AIDS status, political affiliations or belief, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How to apply:
To apply for this position, please use the following URL:
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS ARI