Organization: Armed Conflict Location and Events Dataset
Closing date: 29 Dec 2017
The Armed Conflict Location & Event Data Project (ACLED) records, publishes and analyses disaggregated data on violent political conflict. The data is publicly available along with information about the project at www.acleddata.com. The data is used for a range of purposes, from academic research on dynamics of conflict to informing diplomatic policy, and humanitarian and development work in conflict-affected contexts.
ACLED is recruiting a part-time research analyst to work directly with ACLED’s Research Director on a variety of tasks around research and analysis.
The ideal candidate will have experience conducting quantitative analysis (using statistical packages, such as STATA and R), including working with large datasets (e.g. data cleaning, prepping for analysis, etc.). The analyst may also contribute to data management processes as needed.
The analyst may support the writing and analysis around conflict trend and thematic reports, including work on creating engaging data visualizations using Tableau. They may also support ongoing studies through conducting desk research and/or literature reviews. As such, familiarity with the academic literature around conflict and political violence would be an asset.
Specific roles and responsibility:
The role will require 20 hours per week. All work for this position will be conducted remotely, including the initial training and periodic meetings. Team members may work from home, the library, etc. and at any hours which are convenient, in accordance with set submission deadlines.
Remuneration will start at 20USD per hour depending on experience / qualifications.
Skills and competencies:
ACLED is seeking applicants who have the following skills and experience:
- Familiarity with Excel (essential);
- Familiarity conducting high-level statistical analysis in both STATA and R;
- Familiarity with creating engaging data visualizations using Tableau;
- Experience working with large datasets (including data cleaning and prepping for analysis);
- Experience conducting desk-based research and literature reviews;
- Research focus or professional experience in conflict research or peace-building in developing states;
- Familiarity with the academic literature around conflict and political violence; M.A. in related field (asset);
- Experience working to deadlines with limited supervision;
- A high level of attention to detail and ability to receive and incorporate feedback.
How to apply:
To apply, please submit a CV and cover letter detailing qualifications and experience to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title “Analyst Application_LastName” in the subject line. Further information on the project available online at www.acleddata.com.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested candidates are advised to apply early.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS ARI