Organization: Karam Foundation
Country: Syrian Arab Republic
Closing date: 06 Jan 2018
JOB BRIEF: The Head of Office will be responsible for ensuring and facilitating the smooth running of the Syria Office in Maarat Al Noman, Idlib. This position will report to the Director of Programs & Development and will support with the operations in Syria by Karam Foundation. S/he will work on preparation of documents, procurement requests, identification of needs, trainings, coordination with local authorities and other NGOs, follow up of activities, etc.
- Positive engagement with local stakeholders and community leaders
- Management of Syria field team including programs, finance, logistics and communications
- Providing regular reporting to Director of Programs & Development
- Provide oversight for successful implementation of Karam projects in Syria
Strategy & Vision
- Strengthen and build the capacity of Karam Foundation field office ensuring proper departmental functions, control and segregation of duties.
- Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout Karam Foundation. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of Karam Foundation and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity.
Management and Administration
- Provide overall management, leadership, support and guidance for Karam Foundation team in Syria, inspire and motivate them to deliver high quality support in Programs, Logistics, Finance, Administration and Procurement.
- Ensure proper office management, security, documentation of projects’ activities.
- Maintain sufficient resources for Karam Foundation programs and projects.
- Oversee the daily functions of the office, with advice to the programs, procurement, logistics, HR, and Admin team as required in the office, ensuring full compliance with the donor regulations
- Maintain regular contact with Syria Logistics Coordinator and Syria Finance Manager.
- Oversee management, supervision and training of all aspects of finance, administration, HR, and logistics in the Syria office.
- Ensure all aspects of asset management, including maintenance of the asset register and investigation of any missing assets.
- Supervise the management and maintenance of vehicles, office facilities, and equipment, including power supply.
- Oversee database and file management for program, finance, administration, HR, and logistics documents; ensure files are complete and in compliance with Karam Foundation policies and procedures.
Coordination & Communication
- Identify, build and manage relationships with local councils and partners in the field.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
- Maintain close working relationships with other humanitarian and local partners, including representing Karam Foundation at coordination meetings.
- Ensure suitable representation of Karam Foundation through close coordination and strategic liaison/relationships with the local authorities, NGOs, implementing partners and other key stakeholders to maintain ongoing high quality projects’ performance at the areas of operations.
- Ensure that all Karam Foundation operational/technical sectors are coordinated, integrated and support each other to optimize the project purposes and objectives.
- Submit regular reports to supervisor, daily, weekly and monthly updates, and work closely with the supervisor and staff to ensure that project results and reports are properly captured and documented.
- Regularly assess security conditions and provide guidance on office closure, pauses etc
- Ensure adequate security coordination with other humanitarian actors in the areas.
- Ensure compliance with Karam Foundation’s security procedures and policies
Finance & Compliance Management
- Provide support for smooth financial operations ensuring controls and segregation of duties.
Program Management Support
- Oversee the smooth flow of routine program support functions (e.g., finance, administration, and logistics) of Karam Foundation and compliance with its policies and procedures. Assist the Program staff in the program design and reporting as needed.
- Coordinate with program staff regular basis to ensure the successful implementation of the project activities, in respect of Karam Foundation’s and the donors’ guidelines and procedures.
- Create and maintain systems ensuring effective and transparent use of financial resources for timely and informative reporting in line with donor and Karam Foundation policies and procedures.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback
- Contribute to team-building efforts, help team members identify problem-solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Conduct performance appraisals of staff as required, ensuring regular feedback and mentoring of individual performance
- Mediate any conflict that may arise within the staff
- Perform other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed above are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.
- Bachelors or Master’s Degree in relevant field
- At least 3-5 years of relevant project management experience.
- Sound understanding of financial, procurement, administration, and logistics management systems.
- Demonstrated experience in team building and team coordination for achieving program goals.
- Strong commitment to local capacity building and the ability to engage local stakeholders in project design and implementation.
- Experience working with local governance structure INGOs and national NGOs and familiarity with international humanitarian operations, coordination structures, and the mandates of UN agencies, and other NGOs.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills; detail-oriented; and possessing an ability to anticipate program and operational needs.
- Diplomatic nature
- Ability to respond to changing priorities
- Ability to work independently, be proactive and to self-initiate
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, verbally and in writing
- Excellent negotiation skills plus negotiation experience
- Strong commitment to Karam Foundation’s mission, purpose and values;
- Competence in Google Drive (documents, spreadsheets)
How to apply:
Interested candidates should fill out this application form. If you have any trouble uploading the CV in the form, please email CV to email@example.com with “Syria Head of Office” in the subject line.
NOTE: Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS ARI