Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 27 Dec 2017
Position Title : Monitoring and Evaluation Officer (Whole of Syria (WoS))
Duty Station : Gaziantep, Turkey
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 27 December 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries: Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Maldives, Malawi,
Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of mission and direct supervision of the Head of Sub Office, and in close coordination with the Syria Crisis Coordinator (L3), the successful candidate will oversee the monitoring and evaluation aspects of all programmes and projects under the Syria Humanitarian Response Plan, and assist in their relevant and effective implementation, in particular in line with the expectations of IOM’s donors on Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) requirements. S/he will oversee and coordinate the work of M&E officers based in IOM whole of Syria hubs in close coordination with programme managers.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Develop and operationalize the overall framework for Project Monitoring and Evaluation in close coordination with Information Management (IM) unit ensuring that monitoring and evaluation arrangements comply with donor agreements and IOM Whole of Syria M&E strategies and requirements. Task, includes the preparation and rolling out of training materials for the field teams and partners, the elaboration of regular programmes/projects reviews, process and operations monitoring and lessons-learned workshops.
Collaborate with IOM staff and implementing partners on both quantitative and qualitative monitoring aspects to provide relevant information for ongoing evaluation of programme/project activities, effects and impacts and for complying with regular reporting requirements.
Coordinate within the IOM M&E field teams the preparation of regular monitoring reports, to be shared with relevant stakeholders such as donors and coordinate with the Syria crisis coordination team and relevant programme managers with regards to utilization of the outputs of M&E findings in Donor or Public Information materials.
Monitor and review existing monitoring mechanism, reporting documents and data collection tool. Guide the process of the M&E outputs regular sharing with relevant stakeholders ensuring that monitoring data are discussed in the appropriate forum in a timely fashion, also in terms of implications for future action. If necessary, create the discussion platform to fill any gaps.
Interact with the donor on a regular basis, to share monitoring systems and findings, and discuss avenues for improvement when necessary.
Ensure that the IOM programmes/projects planning and achievements are reflected and updated in a timely manner based on Results Based Management (RBM) framework approach.
Build and strengthen the M&E departmental capacity through the recruitment and training of experienced staff, in coordination with the Head of Sub Office.
Guide the process for identifying the key performance questions, indicators and parameters for monitoring programmes/projects performance and achievements and for comparing it to purposes and targets; design the format for performance reports and other Whole of Syria M&E tools; review field monitoring reports, analyze them for outcome and impact evaluation and identify the causes of potential bottlenecks in project implementation and necessary corrective actions.
Oversee organizations/field teams that are sub-contracted to implement special surveys and studies required for monitoring and evaluating programmes/projects outcomes and impacts. Ensure that all third party monitoring activities are in line with IOM WoS M&E strategy, develop dedicated tools as needed including data quality control protocol. Identify M&E or analyst staff that the project might need to perform those tasks.
Develop M&E training and other capacity building tools, in coordination with relevant colleagues and missions
Review the availability and quality of existing social and economic data related to the programmes/projects area, the methods of collecting them and the degree to which they provide good baseline statistics and references for programme/project monitoring and evaluation, with a focus on outcome and impact evaluations.
Participate in missions commissioned by external partners and donors and facilitate access to M&E data to relevant stakeholders. Undertake regular visits to the field in coordination with project managers to support implementation of M&E and to identify where adaptations/corrections might be needed.
Participate to the development of the annual work plans and budgets of programmes and projects in coordination with programme managers and Resource Management Officers, in particular the programme budgets; include the required framework for the physical and process monitoring of project activities.
Oversee the M&E officers and project managers in the field to revise the programmes/projects log frame matrix on a continuous basis, particularly in the areas of the objective hierarchy, indicators and monitoring mechanisms.
Contribute to the strategic planning of IOM activities and assist SCC, CoMs and coordinators to implement organizational strategies under the Syria Humanitarian Response Plan. Undertake duty travel to Syria as required.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Social Science, Political Science International Relations, Development, Business Management or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in project implementation and management, preferably with experience in the field of research, monitoring and/or evaluation;
• Proven experience with logical framework approach and other strategic planning approaches, M&E methods and approaches (including quantitative, qualitative and participatory), planning and implementation of M&E systems;
• Experience in facilitating learning-oriented analysis sessions of M&E data with multiple stakeholders, information/data analysis and report writing;
• Experience in M&E system design and in data processing and with computers and familiarity with Results Based Management (RBM) framework are highly desirable;
• Proven ability to prepare clear and concise reports and with Statistical skills;
• Solid understanding of post-conflict environment and community development, with a focus on participatory processes and joint management;
• Familiarity with and a supportive attitude towards processes of strengthening local organizations and building local capacities for self-management;
• Willing to undertake regular field visits, when appropriate, and interact with different stakeholders, especially primary stakeholders;
• Good level of information management skills.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 27 December 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 13.12.2017 to 27.12.2017
Requisition: VN 2017/268 (P)-Monitoring&EvaluationOfficer(WholeofSyria)(P3)-Gaziantep,Turkey
Posting: Posting NC55285335 (55285335) Released
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT