Organization: Government of Afghanistan
Closing date: 31 Jan 2018
Building on the Agriculture Master Plan, the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (GoA), in collaboration with its development partners, has defined a number of appropriate priorities for agricultural investments and policies under the National Agricultural Development Framework (NADF). In order to increase farmers’ incomes and improve the food security situation, the GoA is giving foremost attention to strengthening of the agricultural production base. In this respect the government has asked the World Bank for assistance in strengthening agricultural input supply systems. Specifically, the GoA has requested the World Bank for assistance in the implementation of the Afghanistan Agriculture Inputs Project (AAIP) that will consist of the following four components: (i) Improve seed production and certification; (ii) Establish infrastructure and policies regarding quality control and safe use of fertilizers and agrochemicals; (iii) Improve input delivery systems; and (iv) Establish efficient project management, implementation and coordination mechanisms.
The development objective of AAIP project is strengthened institutional capacity for safety and reliability of agricultural inputs and sustainable production of certified wheat seed. The implementation phase of the project is expected to start around mid 2013.
Under its Seed Component, the project assists the Agricultural Research Institute of Afghanistan (ARIA) with their mandates of variety selection, maintenance breeding and production of Breeder’s Seed, the Improved Seed Enterprise (ISE) with their mandate to produce Foundation and Registered Seed, and the Afghan National Seed Organization (ANSOR) and its member Private Seed Enterprises (PSEs) with their mandate to produce and market Certified Seed. (NB Seed Certification is supported by another project, funded by the EU) Moreover the project will support the Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) with the overall coordination of the seed sector.
Support provided by the project consists of hardware (equipment, constructions, etc.) and software (capacity building, organization, legislation, technical support, etc.). In order to coordinate the activities and provide the support mentioned, the project‘s Management Unit (PMU), apart from administrative and other technical units, contains a seed team consisting of a National Seed Program Coordinator and two National Seed Officers. It also provides short and long term national and international consultants and staff to the implementing partner organizations.
The international Plant Entomologist will assist the Project Director and Plant Protection Section of AAIP in supporting of the smooth implementation of the Nationwide Insect Pest and Plant Diseases Survey in Afghanistan and work closely with the diagnostic and validation committee for identification of the insect pest collected during the survey.
Duration: 8 Months.
Key Responsibilities of I**nternational Entomologist**:**
· Regularly check the insect pest and plant diseases survey database and make correction in the diagnosed samples
· Validate and classify insects into at least genus level with the use of insect identification key.
· Work closely with the diagnostic committee in identification of insect pest collected during the survey.
· Instruct the museum curtain staff in preservation of insect samples
· Adopt the taxonomic keys, publications/CDs available from CABI Bioscience etc for identification of insect pest
· Review the existing plan of conduction Nation-wide Insect pests’ and Diseases Survey and recommend improvements as needed.
· Deliver of training on insect identification to the members indiagnosticcommittee of Plant Protection and Quarantine lab staff
· Develop the techniques and procedures for insect pests and diseases surveys to the diagnostic committee
· Preparation of linkage with the Pests and diseases diagnostics laboratory for necessary identification services’
· Help in the smooth conducting of the nation-wide insect pests and diseases surveys and give lectures/ brief the PPQD staff on the Pests Risk Analysis
· Identify the insects pests collected during the survey, and classify them as per IPPC classification
· Preparation of a report on the Quarantine Pests and diseases for different crops of Afghanistan
· Instruct the technical staff in the curation of insect museum
· Any other task assign by the Project Director
Required Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
· Master in Entomology individual with (Ph.D degree in the relevant field specialized in taxonomy of plant damaging insects will be given preference.
· The Candidate will have minimum of 10 years working experience in Entomology with insect identification as well as their taxonomy. He/she has to have knowledge on modern techniques used for identification insects.
· Excellent solid knowledge in Entomology (e.g. in command theoretical and practical) of all state of arts methodologies.
· Ability to analyze technical issues, develop and execute solution/mitigation options
· Able to analyze the data and summarize the conclusion.
· Ability to work independently
· Good knowledge of equipments require for standard Entomology lab.
· Hands-on experience in laboratory safety and basic biological and chemical handling
· Good oral and written communication skills in English
How to apply:
Send update CV and Cover letter to AAIP, Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock, Jamal Mena, Kabul Afghanistan Or send us your CVs in soft to: email@example.com
Do not attach recommendation and education documents; these will be required only in interview stage.
*Note: No resume will be taken under consideration without cover letter, the position title, vacancy number in the subject line of the email.
*Only selected candidates will be called for interview. All applications will be checked and validated against the above mentioned requirements. Any un-matching C.V.will be automatically rejected.
The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) is an equal opportunity employer which encourages male and female candidates to apply for vacant positions.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS GOV