Organization: Government of Afghanistan
Closing date: 31 Jan 2018
The Government of Afghanistan, the World Bank and other development partners have been collaborating to develop an Agribusiness Charter (‘the Charter’ hereafter) to create good jobs, strengthen and diversify livelihoods, and enhance the competitiveness of selected value chains, all contributing to sustainable economic growth for Afghanistan. The Charter compliments and builds on 0020 the on-going investments being made in the Agribusiness Sector, in particular those of ARTF and the World Bank including the Afghanistan Agricultural Inputs Project (AAIP).
The Government and the international community have recognized that there are several priorities related to enhancing socially progressive agribusiness – creating good jobs, removing barriers to investment and export, streamlining regulatory procedures, and capturing important opportunities to support domestic production for key commodities – which can be addressed in the short- to medium- term – while in the long-term strengthening government capacity for strategic leadership and policy-based programming in the agribusiness sector. The Charter is a multi-stakeholder compact which will address these priorities.
Regulatory reform to improve management of financial and tax incentives, customs and trade procedures, labor, licensing and trading laws and credit options will be assessed and actioned with a focus on how to support and mobilise private sector investment and risk taking. Implementation will be supported through investments in strategic communications and support in the areas of marketing and branding, law enforcement, extensions services and information coordination and management.
Design and management of the Charter is coordinated through an inter-ministerial Committee co-chaired by MoF, MoCI and MAIL. There has been a lack of strategic coordination in the agribusiness sector in the past, and in any sector, reaching strong consensus on multi-ministerial initiatives is a recognized challenge. Commitment to coordination of this nature and proper human resourcing to deliver on this commitment is an important prerequisite for the primary ministries involved.
The technical assistance under the AAIP is required to support achieving its mandate of developing a functional phytosanitary system for the country while contributing to the design of agribusiness charter in policy, strategic and technical issues in the areas of trade and investment policy, inclusive, private-sector led growth, and the institutional and scientific issues. One major issue which needs to be addressed to stimulate growth of agribusiness is biosecurity. Food safety and standards is a major hurdle, limiting access to new and existing markets. The institutional challenges are significant and require resolution. Specific expertise is required in this area to establish, re-regulate and improve processes and facilities for certification and quality testing of food commodities for export, and regulate the quality of imports. Making progress in this area requires a complex mixture of reform, investment, and re-branding, taking into account market demands and availability of supply.
· The Consultant will act as a focal point on bio security to the inter-ministerial working group in support of the design of the Agribusiness Charter. He or she will provide expertise and recommendations to the working group on issues related to food safety and quality certification, trader relations and bio security, and the institutional support required for delivery.
The duration of the job is 6 months.
Reporting and Authority
· The consultant will report to the Minister of Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) (or his/her designated representative).
Key Responsibilities of International Technical Consultant on Phytosanitary and Food Safety for Agribusiness:
The consultant will undertake the following tasks to support the design of the Agribusiness Charter:
· Support the adaption of phytosanitary and quality standards
· B uild relationships with existing and new markets to inform policy and recommend the assistance required.
· Provide substantive technical expertise and policy advice directly to the Minister’s office or his designate, relevant directorates and other senior staff in the Ministry in support of the Charter;
· Coordinate working groups in MAIL to identify existing programs and initiatives to support and promote the Charter in the area of biosecurity;
· Lead the Charter working group in the development of a functional delivery strategy clearly defining roles and responsibilities of government ministries;
Required Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
· Post-graduate degree in a related discipline; or an equivalent combination of education, training and a minimum of 10 years directly relevant experience.
· Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in a policy and/or legislative environment providing independent research, analysis and advice on complex issues, including evaluation of options and recommendations.
· Experience meeting, consulting and corresponding with government officials, including regulatory and program partners, and stakeholder groups on policy proposals and existing government policies, including explanation of technical details on complex issues.
· Experience in change management and institutional reform
· Willingness to work as a dedicated and considerate member of a team.
How to apply:
Send update CV and Cover letter to AAIP, Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock, Jamal Mena, Kabul Afghanistan Or send us your CVs in soft to: email@example.com
Do not attach recommendation and Education documents.
*Note: No resume will be taken under consideration without cover letter, the position title and vacancy number in the subject line of the email.
*Only selected candidates will be called for interview. All applications will be checked and validated against the above mentioned requirements. Any un-matching C.V will be automatically rejected.
The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) is an equal opportunity employer which encourages male and female candidates to apply for vacant positions.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS GOV