Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 21 Jan 2018
Position Title : Consultant – Market Researcher
Duty Station : Homebased/Field Travel
Classification : Consultant, Grade OTHE
Type of Appointment : Consultant, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 21 January 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Bangladesh is a major labour sending country, with approximately 10.9 million Bangladeshis living in 162 countries of the world (BMET 2017). According to Bureau of Manpower, Employment and Training (BMET) of the Government of Bangladesh, from January till August,
2017, over 690,000 Bangladeshi migrant workers have been employed in countries which include Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Bahrain, Lebanon, Jordan, Sudan, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, UK, Italy, Japan, Brunei, Mauritius, Iraq, and others. Around USD 13.6 million was remitted to the country, making labour migration, a major strategy for improving socio-economic conditions.
Among the migrant workers from Bangladesh, 2.21 percent are professional; 31.53 percent are skilled; 13.98 percent are semi-skilled; and 52.29 percent are less-skilled. The higher proportion of less-skilled migrant workers from Bangladesh leads to a range of challenges including among others lower remittance flow, compulsion to accept 3D (dirty, demeaning, and dangerous) jobs and violations of their human and labour rights. To ensure that migrants are protected and their rights are upheld, and the positive impact of migration are optimized, thorough analysis of the overseas labour market is crucial. In addition to expanding or entering into new markets, it is also vital to have projections of labour market demands so that various interventions around policy and capacity development can be initiated.
At present, a2i programme under Prime Minister’s Office is conducting destination country market research for 12 countries. UNWOMEN is also engaged in destination country market research for female migrant workers. The consultant will coordinate with these initiatives to avoid duplication of work and leverage synergies. In consultation with IOM, existing initiatives and Government of Bangladesh (GoB), this can include focusing on a different country or focusing on different trades.
This assignment will form the stepping stone of engaging stakeholders at destination countries. Based on the result of the assignment, IOM will facilitate government officials visit at those destinations, conduct employer survey, host trade fair to facilitate the process of market entry and expansion.
Given this backdrop, IOM, under the project “Bangladesh: Sustainable Reintegration and Improved Migration Governance” funded by the European Union (EU), is proposing to provide support to the Ministry of Expatriates Welfare and Overseas Employment (MoEWOE) and BMET to conduct destination country labour market research.
Under the direct supervision of the National Programme Officer, overall supervision of the
Programme Manager at Dhaka, Bangladesh the successful candidate shall be performing
labour market research for International Migration.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Strengthen the capacity of relevant officials to conduct labour market research and assist the relevant GoB officials to institutionalize labour market analysis mechanism.
Prioritize three countries of destination in coordination with Government of B, IOM and through primary and secondary information sources assess the short, mid and long term labour market needs across all sectors of the national economy and identify needed skills. This should include assessing market demand (including projections), trade qualifications, existing migration scenario of those countries, and assessing capabilities.
Propose key recommendation to fill in the identified gaps in labour market of destination countries, in the short term as well as in the medium to long term, both in terms of policy of GoB and in terms of programmes of all stakeholders.
Facilitate a dissemination event and present the research findings in the dissemination event.
Coordinate with representatives from the Government to assist in information exchange visit which will include conducting employer surveys in destination countries and support to organize employers’ fairs in coordination with the embassies. , Based on the visits, a completion report will be submitted to IOM summarizing key findings from surveys and discussions at the fairs/workshops.
Perform such other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• At least Masters in social science subjects from an accredited academic institution
• 10 years of experience in the development sector. Specific experience in external labour market analysis is required.
• The candidate must have relevant experience in the migration sector; relevant global, regional and national priorities.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Bangla is an advantage.
Duty station for this vacancy is Home based with frequent travel to Dhaka, Bangladesh
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
• Effectively applies knowledge of migration management issues within the organizational context.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment or visa requirements and security clearances.
How to apply:
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 21 January 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 08.01.2018 to 21.01.2018
Requisition: CON2018/01-Consultant -Market Researcher-Home Based wt travel Dhaka,Bandladesh
Posting: Posting NC55304333 (55304333) Released
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT