Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 21 Jan 2018
Position Title : Administrative and Finance Officer
Duty Station : Bujumbura, Burundi
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 21 January 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries: Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Maldives, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission in Burundi and the direct supervision of the Resources Management Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for leading administrative and finance functions within the mission.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Monitor and oversee the administrative and financial management for all activities including the oversight of financial expenditure and obligations; oversee budget control process and analyse variances between budget and actual expenditures. Monitor the budget; financial reporting and bank reconciliation.
Supervise day-to-day administrative and financial personnel and activities. Support and offer guidance to the staff and sub offices on matters related to project administrative and financial issues.
Assist the RMO in undertaking the financial analysis and technical inputs of projects in the Mission.
Prepare donor financial reports in accordance with IOM regulations and established procedures in close coordination with the RMO as well as relevant units in HQs or Regional Office.
Assist in the preparation of cash flows according to activities in the Mission and ensure daily control of funds disbursed; ensure funding is received in accordance with donor agreements.
Ensure that all the administrative and finance activities are performed in accordance with the IOM Financial and Procurement Regulations, Accounting Procedures. Maintain appropriate internal controls to safeguard the assets, control cash and prevent fraud.
Coordinate recruitment of local staff and ensure compatibility of contracts with local labor law procedures in consultation with the IOM Country Mission where applicable.
Assist in preparing annual budget for the Mission, monitor budget control and report variances between budget and actual expenditures, and assist in the preparation of budgets for new programmes.
Assist in checking expenditures versus budgets and ensure that salaries are correctly allocated to projects consistent with IOM’s projectization criteria.
Work closely with other internal functional units of the Mission, as well as banking, donors and government counterparts and other stakeholders as required in the performance of the accounting function.
Liaise with relevant units at HQs and Regional Office with regards to the financial activities of the Mission.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Professional certification as chartered accountant (CA) or certified public accountant (CPA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), or Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) will be a distinct advantage.
• Experience in financial management, accounting, and budgeting;
• Experience with internal control assessment, internal audit and or external audit knowledge of IOM’s regulations, policies and procedures, couple with experience with IPSAS, computerized accounting system (including SAP) PRISM;
• Knowledge of IOM accounting system, software and procedures and a high level of computer literacy, in particular in computerized accounting systems (including SAP) mandatory.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 21 January 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 08.01.2018 to 21.01.2018
Requisition: SVN 2018/08 (P) – Administrative and Finance Officer (P2) – Bujumbura, Burundi (55307439) Released
Posting: Posting NC55307465 (55307465) Released
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT