Organization: International Organization for Migration
Country: Dominican Republic
Closing date: 21 Jan 2018
Position Title : Operation Officer
Duty Station : Santo Domingo, Dominican Rep.
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 21 January 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries: Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Maldives, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission in the Dominican Republic, the successful candidate will be responsible for the coordination, implementation supervision and monitoring of the different programme and projects under implementation or to be developed in the Dominican Republic (DR). S/he will closely coordinate activities with donors, Government at central and provincial levels, Civil Society, UN agencies, International agencies and organizations operating in DR, and beneficiaries.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Plan and coordinate the operational activities of the office ensuring that procedures for carrying out projects meet IOM standards; develop and maintain effective project monitoring and reporting procedures; supervise all the staff in the Mission promoting team work and a smooth implementation of the IOM activities in DR.
Maintain oversight functions for funded partners’ daily activities.
Assist in developing and maintaining liaison with Dominican Governmental authorities, international organizations, civil society, UN agencies, donors and migrant organizations with whom IOM is operating ongoing or future projects.
Assist in developing new programs in close cooperation with the relevant authorities and counterparts including the private sector.
Advise the Chief of Mission on developments in the field of migration and on Governmental policies affecting the activities of IOM and prepare proposals for appropriate action to ensure corrective measures are taken.
Draft regular and special reports covering IOM activities in the country; prepare briefings and background information as required, including specific information requested by the Government, Donors and other entities.
Review and evaluate the operational activities of the Mission and prepare recommendations with a view to increasing their effectiveness and streamlining procedures.
Take full responsibility for the successful execution of ongoing operational programmes and development of new ones.
Supervise and Coordinate with the Finance and HR staff to keep a proper monitoring of finance and HR aspects to ensure the correct implementation of budgets and Staff Rules and Regulations reporting to the CoM on specific obstacles or problems identified and corrective actions to be taken.
Assists the CoM with the usual communication and coordination with the Regional Office in San Jose, Costa Rica, MAC, PAC, HQ, and Missions as needed to facilitate the communication and reports requested.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in migration programmes and projects;
• Experience formulation and implementation of public policies;
• Experience in establishing liaison with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with national and international institutions;
• Knowledge in project development, programme planning, business administration, project monitoring and evaluation;
• Demonstrated supervisory experience in staff, budget and office management;
• Experience in cluster coordination;
• Publications on migration issues;
• Working experience in the region and Dominican Republic is an advantage.
Fluency in in Spanish and working knowledge of English is required.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 21 January 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 08.01.2018 to 21.01.2018
Requisition: SVN 2018/07 (P) – Operation Officer (P3) – Santo Domingo, Dominican Rep. (55302964) Released
Posting: Posting NC55307391 (55307391) Released
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT