Organization: UN High Commissioner for Refugees
Closing date: 14 Jan 2018
Internship Vacancy: Resettlement Intern
Internship location: UNHCR Field Office Ibarra (Ecuador) – Resettlement Unit.
EXPECTED START DATE: March 1st, 2018
Purpose and Duration of the internship programme:
UNHCR regularly selects interns to support the team within UNHCR Ecuador. The internship duration is six months and is a great way to help make a difference to the lives of refugees and asylum seekers:
- The programme provides interns with practical work experience related to their academic programme and/or future work in a field related to UNHCR’s mission.
- It provides UNHCR with the assistance of qualified interns, specialised in various professional fields.
Terms of Reference:
The Resettlement Intern will be based in the Field Office of Ibarra and will conduct activities under the office supervision of the Head of Field Office and the direct technical supervision of the Resettlement Consultant.
- Conducting pre-screening interviews for certain individual cases being referred to the Resettlement Unit
- Assisting caseworkers in the preparation of Registration Resettlement Forms (RRFs) for the final revision of the Resettlement Officer
- Researching and writing Country of Origin Information (COI) reports
- Providing information and counselling to individual cases with special protection needs and/or in the process of resettlement.
- Organising, filing and maintaining the Unit’s files on individual cases considered for resettlement
- Operational support in attending telephone calls, receiving visits, preparing and sending routine correspondence
- Assisting in completion of all relevant processes for submission/closure/denial of resettlement cases, thereby maintaining the dignity and fairness of the process
- Assisting in locating applicants, arranging appointments, address information, etc.
- Providing information and general counselling about Resettlement to interested/referred cases
Education, Qualification and Skills required:
To qualify for an internship with UNHCR, applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
§ Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or
§ Be enrolled in academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); or
§ Have recently graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one year period of graduation from an academic programme.
o The intern must have studies in Law, Political Science, Social Science or relevant field.
o Excellent computer skills and working knowledge of MS office software
Work Experience and Language Skills:
Applicants are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the programme; however applicants should:
§ Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter;
§ Flexibility, teamwork, strong problem solving and communication skills;
§ Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which includes willingness to understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views;
§ Research and analytical skills;
§ Fluency in English and Spanish is required; knowledge of an additional UN language is an asset.
How to apply:
Application and Selection Processes:
As part of the application processes, please note that you will be required to submit your CV and a Cover letter. Candidates will be assessed based on their CVs and their Cover Letter. Individual interviews will be conducted for further consideration.
The deadline for applications is 14 January 2018
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT