Organization: Wellcome Trust
Closing date: 16 Jan 2018
The KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme is well known internationally for its work in improving global health. The Programme has a diverse clinical research programme that includes clinical trials of disease prevention, vaccines, management of acute illness, basic science and translation of research finding into global health policy.
The Programme is searching for a qualified, dynamic and motivated person to fill the following position:
To co-ordinate and manage laboratory activities for the project, order reagents and stationary, develop and maintain standard operating procedures. Manage and archive samples in the lab, perform the laboratory assays and present data for analysis
- Conduct experiments, interpret and document results through the use of routine and basic laboratory procedures involving manual techniques or use of laboratory instruments.
- Standardise, calibrate and carry out preventive maintenance and basic troubleshooting on laboratory equipment and instrument.
- Receive samples and ensure that relevant support documentation is provided and process in line with relevant QC guidelines; document sample and process information.
- Liaise with Nurses, clinicians, health care workers and public in order to ensure that relevant samples are taken/ provided, resolve discrepancies and to communicate results in line with laid down procedures.
- Participate in various QAQC, EQA, IQC and regulatory agency activities within the assigned section, including developing and documenting QC monitors.
- Provide technical advice to researchers in the design of experiments.
- Set up laboratory equipment and experiments and guide researchers on use of laboratory equipment.
- Prepare and collate results, update relevant databases and prepare reports as may be required.
- Monitor lab resources and inform relevant staff on the replenishment.
- Manage and dispose of waste in line with laid down guidelines including segregation and use of specified waste disposal facilities.
- Continually comply with all laid down QMS guidelines/ standards/ SOPs and comply with all health and safety guidelines.
- Supervise field teams as required including allocation of tasks and responsibilities to assigned field
- A Diploma in Medical Laboratory Sciences
- Registered with the Kenya Medical Laboratory Technicians and Technologists Board
- Knowledge and understanding of GCLPs and regulatory/ accreditation agency requirements
- Knowledge of laboratory Health and Safety practices
- Computer literacy with proficiency in Microsoft applications
- Experience in peripheral blood mononuclear cell (PBMC) separation and cell culture techniques is an added advantage
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE
- Strong analytical and follow through ability; attentive to detail
- Ability to follow laid down processes and procedures
- Confidentiality and integrity
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Team working and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment **
How to apply:
To apply for this role please click on the link below:-
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS ARI